Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Drinking too much water... Is it good or bad?

SunflowerSSA
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
It can mean she has another health issue going on, like diabetes. Are you sure she is not just playing with it? We pig sat a boy who would constantly nip at his bottle and play with it, we got him some toys and that helped a lot with him always being at the bottle.

SunflowerSSA

kananaka

Cavy Slave
The vitamin C has sugar? What kind are you using?

SunflowerSSA

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Can you give us the brand name? I know there are a couple highly recommended vit C "brands" but I am not sure what they are. Let us just make sure its OK, so if you tell us the name we can look at it and one of the mods will I am sure pop on and tell us if its OK.

SunflowerSSA

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your pig is eating the proper amount of vegetables, it doesn't need supplemental vitamin C. Excess vitamin C is implicated in urinary tract stones.

I doubt she's drinking too much water. Mine go through spells of drinking a lot, and then spells of not drinking so much. Just let her be unless she's actually showing signs of diabetes, like losing weight even though she eats enough.

SunflowerSSA

cibrown

Cavy Slave
We went through that with our guinea pigs. We feed Mazuri pellets. The pellets were recalled because they had to much vitamin D in it. Our vet said that it would affect their kidneys. Luckily they were eating dandelions that worked as diuretics. The vet said that even though dandelions are high in calcium but the diuretics flush the kidneys. We were lucky. Some people had gps die.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@SunflowerSSA, you can teach them to eat vegetables. Pick one they won't eat, dice it very finely (think of pencil eraser in 8-10 pieces) and sprinkle it on the pellets. Do this a couple of times a day for a week. They'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed that veggie in larger pieces and start dicing another one. Start with red or green leaf lettuce, then bell peppers. Then you can add tomato, a chunk of carrot, chopped celery, summer squash, cilantro, parsley, dill, and basil.

SunflowerSSA

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
only iceberg lettuce causes diarrhea.

SunflowerSSA

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thank you, I'll do that. But I heard that lettuce may cause diarrhea? I want her to eat other vegetables. It is also healthy. Thank you for the tips.

Lettuce CAN cause soft poos but only if too much is given.
Usually 1 medium leaf per pig per day is enough lettuce. I've been wondering if the size of the guinea pig has anything to do with how much lettuce is given. My girls will get soft poos if I give them more than 2 1-2" scraps of lettuce. Then again, their still new to the veggie world, so their not actually eating a whole cup of veggies. Right now I'm trying to get them to eat lettuce, green bell pepper, carrots and cilantro.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.