Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Drinking excessively?

Farli129

Cavy Slave
I have a 14mo old and a 2mo old together and they totally drank (not leaked) a 16 oz bottle of water. Is that too much?

I got my 14mo old on New Year's Eve and I found out 2 days ago that there is a possibility that the 14mo old (Marmalade) is pregnant because the person that had her before had her with a male before christmas and then right after christmas the lady found out she was having twins and went from 5 pigs down to 2 (I only got 1 from her). She said that Marmalade was bred before she was 8mo but if she is pregnant, this would be her 2nd litter. I am worried about her birthing, but I work for a Exotic vet so if she needs a C-Section, I have somewhere to go. I filled the water bottle last night, and when I got home from work, the bottle was pretty much empty...I am just worried if she is drinking too much. She seemed to have gained a little weight in the almost week that I had her, but I am feeding the same that she was feeding. The exotic vet that I work for doesn't work again until friday, so I just needed some input from you guys (who are the experts as far as I am concerned) as you have more experience...

thanks in advance!

Triggs

Cavy Slave
It may be diabetes. There's some articles on this site about it.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
I don't think it is diabetes as animals tend to lose weight with diabetes, not gain it...anyone know how much a cavy is supposed to drink in a day?

BTW: only 1/3 of the bottle was consumed today

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Some could have been playing but they will drink more when they're pregnant or if the air is dry. My two boys have been emptying a 32oz bottle every 24 hours. However my 3 girls drink anout the same amount as my boys. If you're concerned I would get them checked out but I would guess that it could be that she's pregnant.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There is no specific amount a pig should drink. They will drink the amount of water they need.

I've also noticed that when it's warmer, my girls will drink a lot more than when it's cooler.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I don't think it is diabetes as animals tend to lose weight with diabetes, not gain it...anyone know how much a cavy is supposed to drink in a day?
While animals don't necessarily gain weight with untreated diabetes, they do gain weight if they're pregnant. I'd think it's possible that she's pregnant and could also have diabetes and the pregnancy is the cause for the weight gain and the diabetes is the cause of the excess water consumption. Just a thought.

Drinking more is also a possible indicator of kidney problems, just fyi.

There is a calculation I've seen my vet do as to how much water a certain pig should drink based on his/her weight, so you might ask the exotic vet in your clinic about that, but it really varies from pig to pig. It really depends on the pig to a certain extent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.