Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Double Cages!

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Alright, so I have been looking to get a bigger pen for floor time for the pigs. Then I thought to myself, "Why not just get some grids, connect them with cable ties, and use that for a pen?" Then I had an epiphany.

"Why not put the piggies in a 3x5 while I'm at work, and then put them back in the 4x2 while I'm home?"

I am ordering 16 grids on Amazon, and I already have the cable ties. I'll connect them with the ties, and put them on top of a big vinyl table cloth that I have. On top of that, I'll put a big fleece. I'll move all of their cage stuff into the 3x5 during the day, and then I'll put the pigs back into the 4x2 when I get home, clean out the 3x5, and move the piggies' stuff back into the 4x2!

Has anyone else ever done this? Do you think that it would be a good idea? Thanks for letting me know!

I don't think that it will be much of a problem for me (twice a day relocation and cleaning). I already do this for floor time every day, though it is with a smaller pen and for about 1-1.5 hours. I have a lot of time to give to my pigs, but not an excessive amount of space. I can provide them with the 3x5 whilst I am gone and for a few hours while I am home, but not 24/7.

Thanks a lot for your input! I have been looking into making a loft, and I'll think about that too. I really appreciate it. If eventually I have the room for a permanent 3x5 then I will definitely provide the pigs with that.

I used to do that. Mine is a bit different. The playpen is connected to the cage. The playpen is collapsable. The pigs can go up the ramp to their main cage.

Don't have an actual pic of the setup. Here's the drawing.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Double Cages!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Double Cages!

* The empty space under the loft is for hay storage.

Lissie- that design is fantastic! Thank you so much; if I ever make a multi-layered cage, I will make one like that! Is that blue sheet on the front of the bottom level plexiglass? Overall, that is an incredible design. Piggie heaven!

Also, Spy9doc, my 4x2 is not a C&C. It is 4x2 in feet, not grids. So, I really cannot connect a pen to the cage because of the design of the cage. Also, I have the cage raised on a table. If I were even able to connect a play pen, I would lose a lot of the storage that I have now and the ramp would be much too steep. However, If I do change permanently to a C&C, I will use my grids to do something along the lines of Lissie's design.

Leave it to you, Lis, to come up with a fabulous design! :cool:

Lissie- that design is fantastic! Thank you so much; if I ever make a multi-layered cage, I will make one like that! Is that blue sheet on the front of the bottom level plexiglass? Overall, that is an incredible design. Piggie heaven!

You're welcome. Yes, the blue sheet is plexiglass.

Lissie: Is the top level for storage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.