Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Doodle's med thread

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: Light red/pink urine? Picture attached?

I don't know how guinea pig cry sounds....but that's probably the noise that I heard....

if I may ask, how old was your guinea pig when she had the stone? Did you have it removed by surgery? Is bladder stone a complicated and costly surgery for guinea pigs?

I got my guinea pig off of Craigslist. I didn't know her age. I took her to the the vet shortly after I got her with what I thought was a UTI. An xray was taken but didn't show any signs of a stone so she was treated for a UTI. She seemed better but about 6 months later, she had blood in her urine. I took her back to the vet and another xray was done. It showed a large stone. I scheduled surgery and she was put on an antibiotic and pain meds but she passed just days before her surgery. I think the surgery was going to cost just under $400.

oshixx

Cavy Slave

I got my guinea pig off of Craigslist. I didn't know her age. I took her to the the vet shortly after I got her with what I thought was a UTI. An xray was taken but didn't show any signs of a stone so she was treated for a UTI. She seemed better but about 6 months later, she had blood in her urine. I took her back to the vet and another xray was done. It showed a large stone. I scheduled surgery and she was put on an antibiotic and pain meds but she passed just days before her surgery. I think the surgery was going to cost just under $400.

I'm sorry for your loss. I originally got Doodle off CL as well, but that was in summer 2009, and she was still not a fully grown piggy at that time. She was probably less than 6 months old when we got her, so now she's about 4 and half....not exactly young for a guinea pig...

She's been doing great all these years and only recently showed some signs of illness, probably due to aging. I will take Doodle back to the vet later this week, hopefully the urine exam and ultrasound together can give a better idea of what's going on. (Again, the X-ray today looks normal, nothing was obviously/noticeably wrong)

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave

Missy was having it awhile ago about 4 or 5 months ago and it never came back. Make sure to feed your piggie heaps of grass and veggies and is your guinea pig still peeing red/pink

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It could indeed be something reproductive tract related. I had one who had a uterine tumor that was causing the bleeding. An ultrasound would certainly show something like that.

oshixx

Cavy Slave
It could indeed be something reproductive tract related. I had one who had a uterine tumor that was causing the bleeding. An ultrasound would certainly show something like that.

Doodle is still showing some blood in her urine, not 100% the time but it happens almost once or twice a day.

I put Doodle and Nano back together and Doodle's eating a little better, perhaps being with Nano again give her a mood boost, not gaining much weight back but at least stabilized and appears to be a little more energetic compared to when she's alone.

Did you ever do an X-Ray for the piggy that you mentioned with a uterine tumor? I'm asking because with the X-ray that was performed on Doodle Monday, nothing appears to be wrong. The vet looked at the X-ray again on Tuesday, called me and said again nothing was wrong on the X-Ray. Maybe an ultrasound is better for this kind of stuff?

I was suppose to take Doodle back today for the ultrasound and exam, but seeing how Doodle's eating better when back together with Nano, I decided to let her stay with Nano for a few more days and hopefully she can eat more, since the vet does want me to leave Doodle there for the day so they can collect the urine, and I don't know how Doodle will handle the new environment while being alone for hours..

oshixx

Cavy Slave
Just a quick update, it looks like Doodle's eating a lot better with Nano around, or maybe it's the new KMS 2nd cut Timothy hay that did the trick, but she's a lot more interested in hay right now and if this trend continues I think she will be able to put some weight back on soon, and both piggies seem a lot more cheerful with each other around :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.