Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Doodle's med thread

oshixx

Cavy Slave
What happened:

One of my piggy, Doodle, a four years old female, got sick in early August. She had Giardia and possible URI, and was put on Baytril and Flagly.

Stopped the medication around late August and been giving her a little bit of BeneBac gel after that. (No BeneBac everyday, but maybe 3 or 4 times a week, around 1gram or so)

Weight:

Doodle's peak weight during the first vet visit was about ~925g, I honestly don't know if that's right after she ate and got a full belly or what, and I didn't start weighing her regularly after the vet visit in August. (Now I weighs her every day to monitor her weight)

She have lost some weight since the first vet visit, and was around ~865g when I stopped the medication in late August, which is about a 2oz weight lost.

Now that she's been off the medication, and with all the BeneBac, her weight's been fluctuating between ~870g to 895g, dipped below 870g once or twice, and went a little over 900g maybe two or three times.

Diet:

When she was on Baytril and Flagyl she was barely eating, and I was giving her some Oxbow CC along with extra veggies and fruits to help her maintain her weight. After she's been off the medication I have decreased the amount of veggies and fruits back to a normal level.

She used to eat Oxbow pellets and timothy hays, but after all the illness and medication her taste have changed. Now she likes the more flavorful foods, like some other brand pellets(I forgot what brand it is, doesn't look as good as Oxbow pellets, but she's eating this off brand pellets better), timothy seed heads, fruit and veggies, and Alfalfa hay/cubes. She eats a little bit of Oxbow pellets but no match for how much she eats before.

While she's not as interested in Oxbow pellets and timothy hays, she's responding very positively when given the other brand pellets, timothy seed heads, and veggies such as red leaf lettuce. She would eat as much as she can when it comes to the foods I just mentioned, but not much of her traditional favorite. She's also not liking the KMS Bluegrass, which my other piggy loves. I just ordered some KMS 2nd cut Timothy and hopefully she will like it when it comes.

Also, since she was not eating much during her illness, I'm suspecting that she might have a Vitamin C deficiency, and giving her some liquid Vitamin C every other day.

Behavior:

Doodle was not a particularly active piggy to begin with, and no noticeable change in her behavior since her last vet visit about a month ago, which the vet said she's alert, bright, and responsive.

Questions:

I have never dealt with guinea pig illness before, and have no clue what's going on with Doodle right now.

Do you think that she's still recovery from the illness and medication?

Maybe just a change in taste after everything and something I can correct with some more time?

Maybe Doodle's having a Vitamin C deficiency right now?

Any other illness/conditions that may be preventing Doodle from gaining weight?

oshixx

Cavy Slave
Light red/pink urine? Picture attached?

One of my piggies just peed and the urine is in light red/pink color...I haven't figure out which piggy it is right now, but I have attached a picture of the bedding that caught the urine.

I haven't seen this before, and this picture was taken just a few minutes after this happened (I was cleaning their cage so I noticed this red spot right away)

The other red label is the label of Ozarka bottled water, just a as a reference of color.

There was not weird sound before I found this, so no squeaking when the piggy peed.

I'm still waiting for the bedding piece to dry so I can see if the color changes....

Attachments

photo.jpg

oshixx

Cavy Slave
Re: Light red/pink urine? Picture attached?

I have figured out which piggy it was, it was Doodle, my 4YO piggy who lost some weight due to possible URI and Giardia and medications. (Mods, please delete/lock the other thread I have created about Doodle's weight, this is the top priority now....)

Doodle's did ate some red leaf lettuce before I saw the pinkish pee.

After carefully checking the cage, it seems like this might have occurred earlier this week as well, not before tho, since I cleaned the cage last weekend and everything looks normal at that time.

One other thing I added to Doodle's diet this week is some Dynamic Health liquid Vitamin C.

Other than Vitamin C, the Dynamic Health liquid also contains the following:

Lemon Bioflavonoids,
Rose Hips,
Rutin,
Hesperidin,
Acerola.

Lemon Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips about 500mg per 15ml, others are about 20-30mg per 15ml. I have been giving Doodle the liquid Vitamin C about once a day for the last 4 days, no more than 1ml per day.

As of now, Doodle's eating her favorite foods fine (she would pull the red leaf lettuce/timothy seed heads out of my hand and start eating like crazy right away), pooping, peeing, drinking, and still bright and alert. No squeaking when Doodle pees, or poops.

I will be monitoring Doodle closely and take her to the vet on Monday.

pinky

Cavy Slave

I'd bring Doodle out for floor time and place her on a white piece of fleece or fabric. Feed her lots of wet veggies and wait for her to pee to get a good look at the color of the urine. What color is the bedding she was on? Urine can have an orange tinge to it but it's usually pink or red when there's blood. Also watch her posture when she pees and listen closely if she makes any sounds. That's the hardest thing about having multiples in a cage. It's usually pretty difficult isolating which one is possibly ill. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. If the white fabric does show blood, I'd bring it to the vet to show them.

aspecht

Cavy Slave

What type of bedding is that?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

It looks sorta like the white carefresh bedding.
Red leaf lettuce wouldn't create discoloration of the urine(nor any other veggie/fruit)

Pinky's idea is an excellent one.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

Red leaf lettuce wouldn't create discoloration of the urine(nor any other veggie/fruit)

Certain veggies can discolor urine. Carrots and red peppers being 2 of them.. There is a word for it, but I forget the name right now.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

I would imagine it would have to be a large amount? I've fed both before and never noticed discoloration.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

I would imagine it would have to be a large amount? I've fed both before and never noticed discoloration.
I believe it just depends on the pig. I've never fed large amounts of these veggies but a few of mine had their urine discolored. Not all of mine have this issue either. My vet told me its just the pigmentation from the veggies. I know rabbits go through this as well.

oshixx

Cavy Slave

I'd bring Doodle out for floor time and place her on a white piece of fleece or fabric. Feed her lots of wet veggies and wait for her to pee to get a good look at the color of the urine. What color is the bedding she was on? Urine can have an orange tinge to it but it's usually pink or red when there's blood. Also watch her posture when she pees and listen closely if she makes any sounds. That's the hardest thing about having multiples in a cage. It's usually pretty difficult isolating which one is possibly ill. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. If the white fabric does show blood, I'd bring it to the vet to show them.

The bedding is Carefresh Ultra white bedding.

I have separated Doodle and Nano and after some more observation, I'm certain the red urine came from Doodle.

Sometimes there is some kind of noise that she produces when she's peeing, but not very loud (I wouldn't say she's squeaking when peeing) and the room have to be very quite and listen carefully.

What type of bedding is that?

Carefresh Ultra white bedding.

oshixx

Cavy Slave

Yes Carefresh Ultra, white bedding.

Certain veggies can discolor urine. Carrots and red peppers being 2 of them.. There is a word for it, but I forget the name right now.

I have fed carrots and red peppers to my piggies before and don't think there was any discoloration....

janinehunt

Cavy Slave

What about beetroot? That has caused urine discoloration in my pigs.

Good luck with Doodle.

pinky

Cavy Slave

The bedding is Carefresh Ultra white bedding.

I have separated Doodle and Nano and after some more observation, I'm certain the red urine came from Doodle.

Sometimes there is some kind of noise that she produces when she's peeing, but not very loud (I wouldn't say she's squeaking when peeing) and the room have to be very quite and listen carefully.

Carefresh Ultra white bedding.
Guinea pigs cry. When my female had stones, she'd whimper softly. It's a good thing that you're taking her in to be checked.

oshixx

Cavy Slave

Guinea pigs cry. When my female had stones, she'd whimper softly. It's a good thing that you're taking her in to be checked.

I don't know how guinea pig cry sounds....but that's probably the noise that I heard....

if I may ask, how old was your guinea pig when she had the stone? Did you have it removed by surgery? Is bladder stone a complicated and costly surgery for guinea pigs?

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave

My female guinea pig Missy had the same problem she was peeing red blood though not pink. I fed her heaps and heaps of grass and veggies before I took her to the vet and all of a sudden her pee was normal I was a bit confused but I'm glad

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave

I would definitely have Doodle checked. I'm not as familiar with guinea pigs, so I'm quite intrigued by people suggesting that certain veggies could change urine color, but with dogs and cats, pink/red urine is usually a sign of blood in the urine potentially caused by urinary tract infection, bladder infection, stones, urine crystals, etc... UTI is usually the most common... What medications was Doodle on and is she still taking them? If not, when did you stop giving them?

oshixx

Cavy Slave

My female guinea pig Missy had the same problem she was peeing red blood though not pink. I fed her heaps and heaps of grass and veggies before I took her to the vet and all of a sudden her pee was normal I was a bit confused but I'm glad

How long ago was Missy having the red pee? Did it ever came back?

I would definitely have Doodle checked. I'm not as familiar with guinea pigs, so I'm quite intrigued by people suggesting that certain veggies could change urine color, but with dogs and cats, pink/red urine is usually a sign of blood in the urine potentially caused by urinary tract infection, bladder infection, stones, urine crystals, etc... UTI is usually the most common... What medications was Doodle on and is she still taking them? If not, when did you stop giving them?

Doodle was on Baytril and Flagyl for about three weeks or so in August, I stopped giving her the medications in end of August/early September.

I have been giving her some BeneBac pro-biotic gel since I stopped the medication, and started giving her some liquid Vitamin C since last week (which also contains some Lenmon Bioflavonoids, Rose Hips, and very small amount of Rutin, Hesperidin, and Acerola.)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

It's good you're taking her to the vet. Bactrim (also called Septra, or Trimeth Sulfa) is the best antibiotic for urinary tract issues. You might want to have an xray, though, to rule out a stone.

Red leaf lettuce does not discolor urine. Beets or red chard may.

oshixx

Cavy Slave

It's good you're taking her to the vet. Bactrim (also called Septra, or Trimeth Sulfa) is the best antibiotic for urinary tract issues. You might want to have an xray, though, to rule out a stone.

Red leaf lettuce does not discolor urine. Beets or red chard may.

Just had the vet visit with Doodle, had a X-Ray and the vet said everything looks ok on the X-Ray(in other word, nothing is so wrong that the vet can see it right away)

She did recommend an ultrasound test and urine test which I will probably take Doodle in for on Wednesday.

oshixx

Cavy Slave
Just got home with Doodle, Doodle got a lot of leafy green veggies before the vet visit and during the visit, her urine was clear.

When I asked about Doodle's weight, she said don't worry too much about it if it's stable, since Doodle doesn't feel skinny.

But when I got home and checked Doodle's carrier, I see some sign of pink/red/blood in the urine again. It seems like the blood in Doodle's urine is inconsistent, and not there/hardly noticeable when she drinks a large amount of water or eat a large amount of leafy green veggies.

She is being very careful and did not make the conclusion that the red/pink thing IS blood, since Doodle did not have it when she peed during the visit. She said it COULD be discoloration from food, but if it is blood, she's leaning toward it being something reproductive related. She also said it could also be urinal tract related.

With nothing obviously visible on the X-Ray (I also asked her to look at other things like lungs and she said everything looks ok), she suggested that I continue to monitor Doodle closely and take her back for another follow up check later this week. (She wants me to bring Doodle there in the morning, leave her there, so they can do an ultrasound and collect urine sample for testing.)

She said if it's UTI, other infection, or possible issues with Doodle's reproductive organs, the ultrasound and urine test should be able to find something.

What do you think?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.