Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Don't know what title to title this...

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Well, Let me say something.....last year in Febuary I think it was, our first dog Buddy, bit my little sister (He had been having aggression problems for a little while), my mom said that's it he's gone! And me and my siblings, begged and pleaded with her, and she finally said "Okay, we'll keep him, but he has to get trained." When we were taking him to the vet, a lady told us about a great behavoir trainer, and so we called her, and a week laer I think it was, we took him to her, and she kept him for almost a month to work on him, and we could come and watch training sessions sometimes, but we had to keep from his view, or he would get distracted, and excited, and when the time was up, and we came to get him, he was SOOOO much better, and obedient, and everthing was fine, until August that is. In August, when I had a friend over, when we were gettign ready to take her home, Buddy bit her. You see, my mom had had a baby earlier that month, and she had been holding him, and I think maybe that was the reason, because Buddy was overprotective, and I think he thought, she was trying to hurt him. Well, mom siad "That IS it! He HAS to go! We can't risk him biting Karah (My little sister) or Micah! (My little bro that my mom had just had), SHe called the trainer to see what we should do about it, whether someone with a farm could take him or what (becaus ehe needs lots of room to run, since he was so energetic, yes we took him for two long walks every day, and let him outside andytime he wanted, except in the middle of the night), ans she called back a day or so later, and said no he wasn't (she knew because she had worked with him), and said either use a very mild shock collar, or put him down. Now, I was't expecting this, but mom said we would have to put him down. My mind was screaming "No!! You can't! It can't happen!" and I knew that a shock collar just wouldn't work, and isn't the best idea, but I thought "Well, he could become an outside dog, and the little ones wouldn't be able to be with him, or any strangers or anything.....but the next day mom was calling around, and scheduled his death. Mom said only my dad was going to take him, because she didn't want a bunch of kids in the waiting room crying, but I insisted that I go, and I wouldn't take no for an answer, she gave in, and the next day, I felt like I was really sick, I couldn't even look at him without thinking "This isn't fair!", and when it was time, I got the muzzle (yes we had to muzzle him), and the leash, and the prong collar, and we got into the car, now it was torture! It was a 30 min. to about 45 min. drive because it was in a different town, because it was cheaper their. The whole way their Buddy was looking outside, and smiling his cute doggie smile, and then he slept with his head in my lap, tears were brimming in my eyes, and when we go their, when we were in the waiting room, I knew I was about to cry, when we got in the room, I just started crying. Buddy knew something was wrong. When she came in to give him the stuff to make him sleepy, we had a struggle getting it in, it took two 3 people to hold on to him. When she came back a few min. later he was still wide awake and alert, she gave him an even higher dose, and left, when she came back a few min. later, it still wasn't working...his head was swaying, and he was acting funny, but he was barking at the vet, she gave him an even higher dose, and left, she came back a few min. later, and it had worked, she said to let her know when we were ready, and left, I was just crying my heart out. After a few min. he said if we prolong it longer the harder it was going to get, and I should have begged with him to not let it happen. When she came in the room, she looked like she was about to cry, she put the thing around his arm, and slowly slid the needle in. He was dead. Never coming back. Never. Never. We took him out to the car in his cardboard coffin, and the vet hugged me and said she hoped I would be okay. When we got home we buried him. I began to really wonder what does dead really mean? I mean you can't think. You can't breathe your not alive, can't do anything. I miss him so much!!! I LOVE YOU BUDDY! FOREVER! I feel so guilty! It was my fault! I should have stopped it and I didn't! It IS my fault and always will be! He was border collie/golden retriever. Here are some pictures of him.

This is of him sniffing a lady bug that my sis is holding, it shows his softie in him
100_4397.jpg

Here's my baby sitting in the shade
100_3020.jpg

photoshoottime048.jpg

Laying in the sunshine
photoshoottime021.jpg

Trimming a bush for us
buddy.jpg

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Aww, I am so sorry you had to go through that. What a handsome boy.
Don't blame yourself, you could not have done anything, the decision was your parents. May he rest in peace.

LucyJane

Cavy Slave
Oh hon! I am so very, very sorry that you had to go through that!! A million hugs to you. I have had to help several loved animals cross the final bridge when their time came, and it is just about the worst feeling you can have.

You need to know something, and never think otherwise: THIS WAS NOT YOUR FAULT! Not at all, honey. You are not the adult in the home. You are not the decision maker. Your dog knew exactly how much you loved him. You did the bravest, kindest, most loving thing you possibly could have done for him by being there and loving him as he crossed, even though it must have hurt you more than probably anything so far in your life. I believe with all my heart and soul, and lots of life experience, that the animals we love continue, and never really leave us. He is at peace now.

Take lots and lots of time to be as sad as you need to be. Cry lots! Grieve for him. Miss him. It's okay to feel lousy right now. Look around for a pet-loss support group in your area (maybe your vet knows of one) so you can share your grief with others who know how you feel. It has always helped me in the past to do something in memory of my pet, such as volunteer an afternoon at a shelter, or collect money and donate supplies.

Be easy on your mom and dad, too. That decision is never, ever an easy one. When you have babies of your own, you will be able to see their side more clearly. The same thought went through MY head briefly when my old lab bit my baby. We are hard-wired to protect our babies at all costs. It's the same instinct that would make Mom and Dad throw themselves in front of a speeding train without hesitation if it could somehow save your life. So please be as gentle as you can; this can't have been easy on them, either.

Big teddy bear hugs are coming to you in this post! Take care of yourself, hon! And any time you need to post more about it, we're here.

:love: LucyJane

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much. :) It was a few months ago that it happened, but I still feel very sad. I guess I should try to see their point of it. Buddy was only one year old when it happened. :sad: I want to volunteer at a shelter as soon as i'm old enough, and I want to start my own rescue, when I'm old enough too.

Last edited:

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Aw I am so sorry. My first dog Laddie died last year. It was not that hard though, because he was pretty much dead before that for a while anyways. It was not your fault!!!

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry and was in tears reading this. It is not your fault.

It is hard because euthanasia makes so much more sense when an animal is sick and/or injured, you can deal with it much better. But when something like this happens I think it makes it harder to deal with. Again i am so sorry for your loss.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I'm crying reading this. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it hurts so much now, but one day when you're older you can use those same feelings to help other animals. Things like this help us grow up to be better people and to treat animals with respect and love while they are with us.

Please try not to blame your parents. I am a mom as well and as much as I love all of my animals, I love my daughter even more and have to think of her first. At least you know he's in a good place now and he is very beautiful in your pictures. God bless you sweet heart!

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry about Buddy! It was a tragic accident, don't ever think it was your fault. You couldn't have done anything more than you did. You did enough by being there for him in his last moments. Just stay strong. It was only instinct that caused him to bite your friend; I'm sure he was just protecting your brother. He was beautiful- reminds me of my golden when she was a little younger. May he rest in peace.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I really want to help any stray I see wandering about, and I really want to get out of the car and get it! ABout a week ago when we were at dunkin donuts I saw a stray dog wandering around, and he looked so sad, adn thin, I just wanted to scopp him (or her), up and take him (or her) home! But I knew we couldn't. :( And by the side of the road, I saw a stray cat, that was REALLY thin. :( One time about two years ago, their was a stray cat in our yard, and I coaxed him to me, and, I gave him a peice of meat, and I asked my mom if we could keep him, and amazingly, she said yes, as long as dad said yes! It was torture waiting until he got home! He said yes, and first we just kept him on the porch, but then mom let him stay in the mudroom, and then free reign of the house! But he would jump up onto my little sister, like he was hugging her, but mom said we couldn't keep him anymore, and we had to take him a shelter. :( S after we had him about a week, we had to get rid of him. :( But I understood why. When we took him to the shelter, and I put him in the cage, he looked confused, and was trying to get out, adn I was about to cry. That is the same shelter where we found Buddy, He was going to be put down the next day, and someone else came and got his brother and sister. We came back the next day and got Buddy, adn Davy (thats his name), started meowing, and I pet him, and then walked away cause I couldn't bear it, and after we got home I learned that the shelter only kept animals for 5 days until they were put down if no one took them! 3 if they were sick! I still wonder if he's alive, but something in me says he is. :)

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Aww! He is so cute! Just remember it is not your fault and that things happen for a reason.