Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Don`t they poop everywhere?

ms. piggie

Cavy Slave
Won`t the guinea pig poop everywhere during floor time? Assuming that they will, because that`s what they do in their cage, what do you guys do?
Do you just clean it up afterward? Or put a blanket down? Or WHAT?
I just don`t get it! Please explain! I mean, what exactly is floor time?
Do you do it in a pen, a single room, or the whole house? Won`t the pigs
get stuck under the couch or lost some where else? Don`t they run away?
Won`t they be terrified? Sorry for all the questions, i`m new to this.(obviously)
Thanks a ton!!:)

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
My pigs poop like crazy when they are out. I either hover up the poops or use the dustpan and brush. Floor time is basically when you bring your pigs out of their cage and let them run around the floor or in a run outside. You can use cubes to make a large pen or you can just let them loose in a room! I wouldn't give them free range of the house as it can be very dangerous.

When letting them free range in one room you will have to block of any areas where you do not want them going.. like behind a tv. You have to block off all electrical wires. They will probably be nervous to start with but they will get used to it.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Mine poop all the time. It gets annoying but the dog is our hoover.. apparently they are good for dogs to eat too! The main problem I have is them urinating on the carpet.. and the males rub their scent on the floor too and it stinks!

candi

Cavy Slave
I think mine must be good little piggies, mine rarely poop during floortime. We have a large shower curtain over the main part of the floor and then we cover that with a few sheets of newspaper.

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I let mine out in my room for floortime, but they're pretty trained. They've got a litter tray that they make use of & although they don't always poop in it, they do poop around it. So my floor stays pretty clean (aside from wood shavings they kick out of the cage).

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are like humans in the respect that they like to potty in private. Set up a little box inside a generously-sized hidey. They'll poop in there rather than on an open floor.

ms. piggie

Cavy Slave
ok thanks. I`ll try it.

Teria

Cavy Slave
Set up a big cardboard box on a newspaper. Most of the poop and pee will go there, and it's easy to clean up and throw away afterwards.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Before i bought the litter box I cut one side off of the top of a shoe box. Then, I covered the bottome with their bedding. They realized that the bedding was like their cage and they pooped in there.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
I don't know about all of others but when Cinnamon gets floor time with Coco, he keeps dragging his butt on the floor and leaving his scent. Stinky gross! They now do floortime in the kitchen instead of anywhere that has carpet.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I have four males. I let them out in pairs because if I let them all out together they will scent constantly and the whole room will stink. They tend to urinate in a litter box or on towel rather than the floor. i only let them out in my bathroom. I used to let them run all over the apartment, but they just kept peeing all over the place. What part of the day do you guys do floor time? Are they more active at night or in the day?

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Since we are at work during the day, I let Cinnamon and Coco out at in the evening.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I usually let mine out after midnight. I just wasnt sure if that was too late.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Anytime of the day or night is good for floortime. Try varying it up a little.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I let my pigs out between 8am and 10am each morning, and between 5pm and 7pm in the evenings. They get their house hoovered out in the mornings, so they get anything from 1-2 hours out then. In the evenings, they get about 3 hours of floor time. I hoover the poops up with a hand-held vacuum each day, so it never starts to smell (unless, of course, Charlie been around wiping his bum everywhere...)

cavynut!!!

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig always choose a special place in the room and cage to poop.

Brave_Piggy

Cavy Slave
My Jack must be really good then, he lets me know when he has to go buy doing this deep, short, sqeaks and running in circles. He usuly deosn't have to go for about 30-45 minutes. Before I take him out I pet him in his cage and let him wakeup a little bit if he was sleeping. He does the same the if he has to go when he is in my arms! You just have to spend a LOT of time with them and you'll be able to tell happy sqeaks from the rest. : )

kebboli

Cavy Slave
I just place some newspapers in a few different areas alond a wall near a corner and if they have to go while running around mine most of the time will go to one of the newspaper areas. I still have afew poos here and there but I haven't seen or found that they pee anywhere. Then I just roll up the paper and throw away.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
I just pick it up after them. I am their slave! Yeah, mine do sometimes run under the tv or behind the couch, but now, what I do, I put books up or the magna-sketch up around the place and they wee. THE WEEEEEE!!! AAAARRRGHHHH! The filth!
(Be sure to have a roll of toilet paper at hand)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.