Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dogs and Guineas

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tillie

Cavy Slave
I have 3 dogs (1 was 12 when I got her), 2 are Jack Russel x's and one is pure Jack Russell, They are all rescue dogs and non of them take any notice of my piggies. When I got my sugar gliders they were very interested in them but they soon learnt it was a no no and now they take no notice at all. The piggies are a new addition but not one of them has taken any notice. So with training I think any of them can learn. My friend had a lurcher who used to curl up with her rabbit and piggies. Another friend has 2 piggies and their JRT plays with them, he cleans them and the piggies climb on him. All dogs obviously have the potential but as long as they are trained and not left unsupervised any breed should be ok.

eyempaula

Cavy Slave
I have a Toy Fox Terrier and she loves her "sisters" but I will say that the Toy Fox Terrier is fully trained NOT to use her teeth on anything inside the house. When she is outside mice, moles, or chipmunks dont stand a chance as she is a A1 mouse catcher. Not real sure how to add a picture to this but I do have a few shots of the dog eating with the pigs as she loves carrots and will eat them with the pigs when I have them on floor time. But I do agree...never leave then totally alone as it doesnt take much time for a dog to snag a pig if they really wanted to.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
You don't need to be breed specific as it is all indog tempermet. I have 4 terriers plus 2 fosters, so 6 in total, plus a cat, and all are fine, they walk by the cage have a look sometimes and keep on going. Not one of mine have barked at the cage, or attempted anything. You just need to find out the tempermet of the dog, don't look at the breed, you could pass up the perfect dog.

P.S, mine are 2 miniature pinschers, 1 german pinscher,1 doberman and 2 foster miniature pinschers. All are pretty much ratter breeds, except the dobe.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
My parents have a Yorkshire terrier, and when me and the pigs visit, they're much more interested in him than he is in them. Like pigglywiggly said, it's all about the dog's temperament.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I have had a German Shepherd who was great with GP's. Now we have a Blk. Lab and a Blk Lab Mix and both could care less about the GP's. My Blk Lab will sniff closely and the pigs will nibble on his nose. It's really hard to say, all dogs are different. My friend has a Corgi(herding dog) and when she comes over she tries to herd up my piggies.

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
It depends on the dog. I have a German Shepard, Cocker Spaniel Mix, Chihuahua, and a Yorkie. The German Shepard doesn't try to hurt anything.

The Cocker Spaniel and Yorkie were my grandmother's so I took them in when she died. Well, they have killed a guinea pig. We would let the piggies have free play in the spare room. My daughter did not latch the door all the way and the Cocker Spaniel/Yorkie rushed in and grabbed the guinea pig and killed it before there was any stopping them. That was a very emotional/tough experience for both of us.

So now we have new rules. The piggies are only allowed to play in an outdoor rabbit fence that we keep in the spare room and the pigs are only allowed to roam freely in there. There cages have a padlock holding the door's together "just-in-case" the dog goes in there and tries to open the cage. Most of the time, we even put the dog's outside while the pigs play because I don't ever want that to happen again.

My Chihuahua is only 5 months old. Since the day after we got her, she has been exposed to the piggies every day. She doesn't try to hurt them but it is one of those things where I feel you just never know so if no one is in that room, the door is closed. I don't trust the Cocker Spaniel or Yorkie to be in the same room as them even when they are locked in their cages.

CavyKid17044

Cavy Slave
I have a wire-haired terrier, and well, excuse my language, but he is a totally pussy dog. He is scared of the piggy, and occasionally sniffs around her cage, until she starts running around the whole thing like a wild woman. Then the dog takes off, thinking its something that is going to come get him.

Partera

Cavy Slave
We have a Great Dane (Polly) and she is obsessed with the pigs. She spends long hours staring at them and cries when they oink. The male (Brownie) and Polly constantly sniff each other through the bars, she is dying to be with him. I have always said she wants a bunny or a kitty of her own but now I think she wants some piggies. I'm too scared to let them out with her around though. Do people let their pigs and dogs mix? I feel like as sweet as I think she is what if she just decides to gulp one of them down.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
My golden retriever loves my pigs! Because she found out the poos make tasty treats, so she will nudge their rears in search for some more...She can be a little rough though, so I have to watch her. But she tolerates them (doesn't try to eat or attack them). Sometimes I will let my pigs roam around her when she's lying down and they nibble on her ears and fur, it's so cute! So I would suggest a golden, in my opinion, since they are easy to train, and can be calm for the most part.

strigercake

Cavy Slave
I have an Australian Shepherd that I have had since 2000. I started getting pigs in 2003. She absolutely loves the pigs. She'll lick them like they are her pups. If she is laying on the floor while the pigs have floor time, she'll let them climb on her if one is willing to be brave. She is a very laid back dog.

My mom's Shih Tzu's I would NOT trust though. My neighbor has 2 Great Danes and 3 pigs and neither one of the Danes tried to get at the pigs. Actually the one Dane is afraid of the pigs. Heehee. Funny for a Dane to be afraid of a little pig; kind of like an elephant to be afraid of a mouse.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
My cats would love nothing more than to have guinea pig kabobs for dinner. My chocolate lab just wants to lick them, sniff them, and watch them. I swear I think the dog thinks they are his kids. I still don't give him access to the pigs because I just don't trust any dog to that degree, but he loves them through the cage or when they are in my lap.

I think a well trained poodle or shih tzu would be more concerned with their own lap time than about the pigs. I have had both breeds of dogs and they would actually try to nurture and mother kittens. I would avoid dogs that are extremely hyper active, or that are natural hunters like dachshunds. That's not to say that any of those suggestions are a given--some people may have dachshunds who could care less and poodles who are high strung, but it is just my experience.
Your best bet is to not settle on a breed, but rather go evaluate temperaments and behaviors yourself in person of different dogs available for adoption. It is strongly going to matter about their personality and upbringing more than anything else.

You could always get a chihuahua. At least it couldn't reach the table. HAHA

WheeksUnlimited

Cavy Slave
Hey CarolinaMidwife-Just a fun fact! Did you know that Great Danes were originally used to hunt wild boar? Maybe thats why she is obsessed with your "pigs"!!

aloren

Cavy Slave
I have a yellow lab (she turned a year in February) and she is fascinated with the pigs. She sits and stares into the cage for hours watching them. With training she learned not to bother them, and everything is ok.

Partera

Cavy Slave
Hey CarolinaMidwife-Just a fun fact! Did you know that Great Danes were originally used to hunt wild boar? Maybe thats why she is obsessed with your "pigs"!!

I had no idea!!! I wonder if that means she would eat him...

sihschris

Cavy Slave
I have a beagle/collie mix I adopted from the SPCA when she was 6 months old. The next month I adopted Izzy who was 6 weeks old. They've grown up together and are great friends. Lucy, my puppy, thinks Izzy's her puppy.

I think it depends on the temperment of the dog

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Goldens get my vote. My Golden loves the pigs & sticks his big head in the cage but is always sweet & gentle. Do Not get a basenji. I have one living next door and she's so fast she can run down a rabbit and tried to kill their cat. She is also determined to do away with my bichon. It may sound weird but I love this little basenji, it's just her nature to hunt and she's very good at it.

Pig Dawg

Cavy Slave
We have a very motherly jack Russel. And she won't let ANYONE near the piggie!! She bares teeth and growls at whoever tries to get the pig. She is even like that with the hamster. (The piggie is nervous of the hamster though) I'm also aware that Jack Russels were bred to kill rats and mice and other small critters but she is fine with the pig. Although the other dog is terrified of the pig.

TayleesFriend

Cavy Slave
I have an Italian Greyhound cross who we rescued from the shelter and she LOVES my piggy Tanger. Here are a few pics :)

Ilovecavies!

Cavy Slave
I COMPLETELTY AND TOTALLY aggree with sea girl Basenji's are horrible! I was holding on of my friends pigs (Pudge HEHE) and Bailey(the Basenji) came running up and tried to eat them when i shooed her she tried to eat my hand because it smelled like guinea pigs!. However, I highly recommend Jack Russels most of them ador guines, Labs, and German Sheperds the sheperds can be EXTREMELY useful if one of your piggers gets loose. LOL Pudge escaped his standby cage as the opther was being cleaned and the sheperd herded him back over to the box. They are also very protective of them. However, as many other people have mentioned it depends on the temperment of the dogs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.