Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dog-proofing and lid-making

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
Well first off. Hi everyone! This is my first official post here, and I absolutely love the site.

In a couple of days I'm gunna be upgrading to a C&C cage. And my family also happens to own a big, happy, energetic, 2 year old black lab. He doesn't take much notice in my two pigs now, but I'm sure once we get the new cage up and running he will take more notice in them. Not anything as serious as tearing the cage to pieces to get to them, but maybe just bumping the cage around with his head/nose. So anybody have any tips of dog-proofing the cage?

Also does anybody have any good ideas for making a lid? I've got no clue what to do. Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

CCcages

Cavy Slave
I think I'm going to try and make a page or a website for cage covers that maybe Teresa can post a link somewhere on the site. I'll have to think of a name, cavycagecovers.com or something like that.

It will have instructions for a Closet-Maid shelving lid with dimensions for every size cage. Also instructions for using grids instead of shelving. I'll include pictures of all. Other than above, what are some other materials that might be used for a cover that I could include instructions for?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You might use coroplast as a cover. Not my preference, but some people might. Hinged to grids.

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. Maybe if you attached chicken wire to some sort of a frame it might work as a lid? Won't be super-strong or anything, but it may still work.

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
We have Home Depot and I think that some major cities will have Lowes. Its a good idea, and I've been thinking about using some wire. Thing is I live in a small town, but I do believe that some of the building stores around may have something like that. Thanks a bunch again!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
RazpberryPiggy said:
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. Maybe if you attached chicken wire to some sort of a frame it might work as a lid? Won't be super-strong or anything, but it may still work.

I was thinking something along these lines as well. Perhaps a frame with a lip that would slide down over the tops of the grids and chicken wire or screen in the middle opening. Tight enough so the cavy can't get it off, but easy enough to lift off for easy cage cleaning.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
*feels famous* Hey that's my cage lid *grins*. I got it from Lowes. It's 16 inches deep and about 45 inches long (my cage is a 2x3). I'm thinking about getting a latch/lock to secure the lid closed when I'm not around. Our 1 year old Bull Terrier likes to stand on her hind legs and check out Mia.

CCcages

Cavy Slave
Well, I finally got around to attempting a website for cage cover instructions. I receive a lot of email asking how to make a cover, and I'd like to be able to provide a site with all the dimensions and instructions for making one. I've got a new respect for those who can build a webpage with html, get images uploaded, etc. I can't believe how time-consuming it is.

It's (broken link removed). It's a very, very rough beginning, and I'm afraid I'm just terrible at this. If anyone knows of a very simple site for real beginners to learn html, I'd appreciate a link. (I'm using one I find very helpful, but it's still too complicated for me). I can't figure out how to do the following:

1. Insert a table with dimensions for covers using shelving and also using grids for different size cages.

2. Upload photos saved on my computer. (I can only find the code to insert web photos).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions of what I should include in the instructions, I welcome everything. I'd also like to change the graphics at the top of the page, but I'll work up to that later.

Thanks!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Go to (broken link removed) It's marketed as a children's site, but I find it's one of the most straight forward resources I've ever used.

Even though I use dreamweaver and have had a site for quite some time I still go there when I am stuck.

CCcages

Cavy Slave
Holy Cow! I just went there - you're right, it's great. Everything about saving the home page as index.html, how to see your work even offline in notepad, I understood that. I even got the grid picture from my computer up there! Thank you, Sabriel! I'll try figuring out the table with the dimensions from there.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, please do so.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I made a C & C cage using the grids and the shelves as in the picture of CCages.
I used 3 grids across and the 14 inch shelve fit perfect. I used the zip ties to secure it and the shelve opens and closes very easely. The space in the shelve fits over the grid holder and holds the lid down. My pigs cannot open it and my dogs have been unable to open it. I thought making the cage would be hard but it really was quite easy.
My cage is 3 grids across and 4 grids down. I put door/shelves on both ends so I could open it up from either side. I found the zip ties better to hold it all together.
Welcome to the site, it is the Best.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of the cage and lid I made for the top of it:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1692&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

It was extremely easy to make. I just measured the cage and then went to Home Depot and got the linen shelving and told them the measurements I had and that I want the lip to hang over on each end. They cut them for me and I just laid them on top of the cage and connected them together (I had a few since it was a large cage) with cable ties. The was the only work i really had to do was attaching the cable ties and buying the shelving.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
Um okay I have two dogs and one of them is crazy for my piggys in a way that he would not hurt them on purpose! So I had to make it dog proof what I did was just out the grids arround uses cable ties and other medal things to keep it strong and it keeps my dogs out.

vaz119

Cavy Slave
Hey, i stay in the uk and i don't think i can get the 'Closet-Maid' shelving u are talking about. I have a 5x2 cage so i dont think just cubes would be sturdy enough to hold up in the middle. I was thinking sturdy mesh type thing...any other ideas??

CCcages

Cavy Slave
[size=-1]To contact a Closet-Maid UK distributor phone free 0800 282 484 OR e-mail: [email protected].uk or www.closetmaid.com. [/size]If you ou do a google search on "closet maid" in UK, you should be able to find something. I do believe it's sold in the UK.

If you do have some extra grids, try overlapping them for extra stability and securing them with cable ties. It might be sturdy enough with a small piece of PVC in the center to hold it up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.