Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dog Food

Nancy Pike

Banned
Cavy Gazer
I got a new puppy from online pet store, but I have no idea how much puppy food should I get and is canned food a good choice or should I get hard puppy food and soke it? Some advice would be appreciated.... Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get hard food, but for puppies. Purina is a good brand, Blue is also a good brand. Purina may be better as I believe they have different food for different aged dogs. Purina has "Puppy Chow" and "Dog Chow" I believe as well.

Good luck!

And..... you got your pet online?

Zuidy, actually Purina is a pretty poor quality food. It's got corn, fillers (such as beet pulp) and uses substandard meat ingredients, along with a lot of grains. All of these are not good for dogs.

Wilderness has a really good puppy food, as does Blue Buffalo. My advice is to research dog foods on dogfoodanalysis.com I currently feed 'Wilderness' Wet and Holistic Select Dry (living in Australia I don't have easy access to the same brands as in the US).

I would get hard food, but for puppies. Purina is a good brand, Blue is also a good brand. Purina may be better as I believe they have different food for different aged dogs. Purina has "Puppy Chow" and "Dog Chow" I believe as well.

Good luck!

Purina is a terrible brand of dog food!

Review on Purina Puppy Chow:

Purina Puppy Chow | Review and Rating

Dogs are carnivores- not obligate carnivores- straight carnivores.

You can look at Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble for good reviews on dog food brands. I personally feed The Honest Kitchen, but have fed Wellness Core and Orijen in the past. These are all very good options for dog food.

Avoid Blue Buffalo, as they are frequently involved in recalls. Wellness was also just recalled (select bags from the Diamond pet food plant), which is why my dogs are now on The Honest Kitchen as Diamond has nothing to do with their production. Orijen is separate from Diamond as well.

What kind of dog is your puppy? If it's a large breed dog, you don't want an excessively high protein and may want to check out Wellness Puppy or Acana. Both have grains but not an excessive amount, which cuts down on the amount of protein (protein can cause a puppy to grow too quickly for the joints and growth plates, thus causing issues down the line).

You may also want to consider a raw diet. The BARF diet is a wonderful alternative to dog food: BARF Diet Specifics - Bones, Meat, Offal, Vegetables, Fruits & Other Nutrition Food Products for Pet

Innova is a good brand to consider.

(broken link removed)

Innova is a good brand to consider.

(broken link removed)

Innova (and all of Natura) was recently purchased by Proctor & Gamble, a company notorious for using low quality ingredients in their pet food. I would avoid Innova.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
@doganddisc @Aertyn

Shows how little I know. I owned a short lived dog, but he was in great health until he hurt his back and we put him to sleep. :(

I didn't research my Max as much as Guinea Pigs. Also shows how great of a forum this is!

:D

@doganddisc @Aertyn

Shows how little I know. I owned a short lived dog, but he was in great health until he hurt his back and we put him to sleep. :(

My first dog had to be euthanized for the same reason :( What kind of dog was Max? Bailey was a Cesky Terrier- he went down the stairs one day (didn't fall or anything) and suddenly was unable to move. We tried everything but the problem couldn't be resolved :( :(

I would be useless for help on any type of reptile, some info on guinea pigs, and some other species. But dogs are my specialty :) I love all of the knowledge that is shared here! I've learned quite a lot!

Good luck!

Yes I have got it from (breeder site and link removed by lissie)
And Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first dog had to be euthanized for the same reason :( What kind of dog was Max? Bailey was a Cesky Terrier- he went down the stairs one day (didn't fall or anything) and suddenly was unable to move. We tried everything but the problem couldn't be resolved :( :(

I would be useless for help on any type of reptile, some info on guinea pigs, and some other species. But dogs are my specialty :) I love all of the knowledge that is shared here! I've learned quite a lot!

Max was a Beagle. Thanks for understanding!

I feed both my dogs a completely raw diet. They are so healthy and happy! Seeing how wonderful this diet is, I would never consider anything else. Their teeth are beautiful, eyes bright, coats gorgeous and luxuriously soft and shiny. In the end, it's cheaper than kibble and you never have to bat an eye at the food recalls. Plus you have the peace of mind they your pet is getting the full measure of the vitamins, not an over-processed product that has to be supplemented for balance. Also, knowing what I do about processed pet food, and the things that can go into it, I would never consider going back to a commercial product.

I feed both my dogs a completely raw diet. They are so healthy and happy! Seeing how wonderful this diet is, I would never consider anything else. Their teeth are beautiful, eyes bright, coats gorgeous and luxuriously soft and shiny. In the end, it's cheaper than kibble and you never have to bat an eye at the food recalls. Plus you have the peace of mind they your pet is getting the full measure of the vitamins, not an over-processed product that has to be supplemented for balance. Also, knowing what I do about processed pet food, and the things that can go into it, I would never consider going back to a commercial product.

If we ever get a dog we're definitely doing this. There's an online store that sells rabbits,ducks,bone meal, organs, etc for cats and dogs at great prices. Some people get butcher's organ scraps for free, but I'm not sure if everyone agrees with the safety of that?

My mother's dogs were fed exclusively kibble and all their teeth are rotten now. I firmly feel that the whole "kibble cleans their teeth" bit is a total myth.

My mother's dogs were fed exclusively kibble and all their teeth are rotten now. I firmly feel that the whole "kibble cleans their teeth" bit is a total myth.

I've heard people say that relying on kibble to clean a dog's teeth is like relying on croutons to clean your own teeth. It's not sufficient dental care at all. Dogs need brushing or raw meaty bones to keep their teeth in good condition. I don't know how well the artificial chewies like Greenies work.

If we ever get a dog we're definitely doing this. There's an online store that sells rabbits,ducks,bone meal, organs, etc for cats and dogs at great prices. Some people get butcher's organ scraps for free, but I'm not sure if everyone agrees with the safety of that?
It depends. If you can establish a relationship with a butcher you trust, you can definitely find some good deals. We usually go to local grocery stores and local farms that butcher their own meat humanely (and raise them humanely). There are days when kibble could appeal to me, especially days like today, when we feed tripe, which is hands down the worst smell I've ever encountered except maybe decomposing flesh, but overall, they are so well adjusted and happy (not to mention healthy) I'd never go back to a commercial dog food.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also wondering if there is something better I could feed my dog. I've tried the raw diet, but she won't eat it, now I'm giving her Blue, is that ok? Or should I be feeding her something else. She's a mix of a pug and a shih-tzu.

This is a good website to gauge the quality of kibble and canned. One thing that's really important if you're going to feed a commercial food is to look for a brand that is sourced entirely in the US (or Canada). Merrick is the only brand I can think of off hand but I know there are others.

I found this really good dog food at Petsmart. Its called Authority. It has really good ingredients and it is half the price of Blue Buffalo and you get more food. I switched my dogs and cats over to it. My dogs have the real lamb and my cats have the Turkey one. I want to feed my dogs good food but Blue Buffalo is crazy expensive! Highly recommend this brand!
(broken link removed)

I've heard people say that relying on kibble to clean a dog's teeth is like relying on croutons to clean your own teeth. It's not sufficient dental care at all. Dogs need brushing or raw meaty bones to keep their teeth in good condition. I don't know how well the artificial chewies like Greenies work.

Greenie does nothing but freshen their breath
RAW meaty bones/regular teeth brushing is best

OP, please do look into feeding your dog a RAW diet that contains bones AND organs as well as meat. Best diet you can give your pup. You only have to feed 1 oz per pound. And if you find the cheapest places for your meat it'll be even cheaper for you to feed your pup than the cheapest kibble food you can find!
I want so bad to feed Emma RAW. But everyone near me is either TOO expensive, or the group gives me WAY too much meat(even tho they know I have only a pug/6lbs cat), or the group's pick up location is located an hour away from me!
I've been feeding Emma Blue Buffalo, but with their recent dishonest recall I had to switch her to Nature's Instinct.
OH! Flea N Ticks! Use Apple Cider Vinegar! your pup is likely to come with allergies. 1 of her/or his allergies maybe the flea/tick control. ACV is not only cheaper, but it is healthier for them. I purchase the organic "by the mother" ACV and feed my pup 1/2 teaspoon every meal.
It makes their skin taste acidic and the bugs don't like em.

I found this really good dog food at Petsmart. Its called Authority. It has really good ingredients and it is half the price of Blue Buffalo and you get more food. I switched my dogs and cats over to it. My dogs have the real lamb and my cats have the Turkey one. I want to feed my dogs good food but Blue Buffalo is crazy expensive! Highly recommend this brand!
(broken link removed)

If you buy high quality food you don't have to feed it as much as the garbage food.
Authority is garbage food too.
Authority Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.