Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dog food

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feed my dogs Taste Of The Wild, I like it because it's grain free, my dogs do great on it and I can find it reasonably priced. I get it at a locally owned feedstore for $39.99 for 30#s. Tractor Supply has it for about the same price, it might be a dollar or two more.

Here's TOTW High Prairie's first several ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweat potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison...

Natural Balance is a decent food, a little grainy for what I like to feed, but they use decent ingredients and if you can't find anything else that's better, It'd be a good choice.

Here's a list of some grain free foods (or some are just brands that have some grain free formulas available) that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

*Before Grain
*Acana
*Earthborn
*Go!Natural
*Grandma Lucy's
*Horizon Legacy
*Nature's Variety
*Now!
*Weruva (only has wet food)
*Ziwi Peak

Some of them are decent priced, some are insanely expensive, some may be easy to find, and some might be hard to come by, but I thought I'd just throw the names out there for ya.

Ultimately the best food out there is the one that your dog does the best on, If I were you, I'd pick one food that's good quality that you like to start with and see if s/he does good on it, if s/he does, that's great. But depending on the dog, you might have to try several before finding the one that really works for him/her...as well as your budget ;)

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I work at a pet supply store and could list a million good brands. However most of the time we reccomend chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. It's a good food and about half the price of other good foods. Some others off the top of my head are Science Diet, TechniCal, Taste of The Wild, the list really goes on and on. A good idea is to go into a store that sells food and supplies, no pets. These stores usually really care about good foods and can point you in the right direction. Something like Pet Valu or Ryans carry really good quality foods. Hope that helps.

Science Diet is a terrible brand.

If you read the labels, you'll quickly be able to figure out what is a good brand and what isn't. Look for the following:

First ingredient should be a meat MEAL.
If the first ingredient is meat, but not MEAL, the second one should be.
Corn is a common allergen in dogs. Avoid foods with it.
Grains (rice, wheat, etc) should be minimal.
The word "byproducts" should not appear on the label, unless it is clear that these include ORGANS only, not things like beaks, feet, etc.

Personally, I feed the Diamond Naturals line (same formula as Costco's Kirkland). It's a decent quality, and in my budget.

Last edited:

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Solid Gold hands down. Orijen is also great. Go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble , it rates dog foods from 1 to 6 stars. Don't use Science Diet, Iams, Purina, Beneful, basically any 1 star foods. They have corn, wheat, and soy, fillers that dogs can't digest. It just makes the food look bigger, when the dogs really aren't getting any nutrients from it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.