Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dog food

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
alm-nin: I strongly reccomend subscribing to The Whole Dog Journal. They actually go behind the scenes and prove right or prove wrong everything that sites by amateurs like dog food analysis.com have claimed. WDJ features articles by professionals and experts in different fields (each article falls under a different subject category), and by the editor of WDJ who uses only paraphrased information that has already been discovered and proven from pros/experts in the subject field.
Here is their website, you (and everyone else on this thread who has dogs) can subscribe to them online in no time at all: Whole Dog Journal is the monthly guide to natural dog care and training.
They are the one of the true only sources for the most correct, complete, and up-to-date information. They also have full-length books available to buy on specific dog related topics like what to feed your dog. Each year they publish the famous renowned WDJ Dog Food Review, and automatically send it to subscribers for no extra charge. They are constantly updating each issue with new nutrition information, and the issues are monthly. Please try out a subscription to them for the welfare of your dog(s)!
You can also contact any of the person's whose information was used in their articles, or if the person themself writes the article (which is what usually happens), then they provide contact info so you can ask a specific professional in a specific field a specific question.

To everyone else: Please do the same, for your dog's sake, subscribe to Whole Dog Journal asap! And to Jenni_Feathers: Hey there! I also feed my dog, a shih-tzu, Taste of the Wild, except she gets their Wetlands version. I actually mostly feed Lexie Bravo! brand's coarsely ground green beef tripe from 100% free-range, pasture/grass fed human-grade cows, with a supplemental amount (very small) of that Taste of the Wild kibble mixed in. It is reccomended by WDJ as one of the best quality green beef tripes out there. Green beef tripe is raw, unprocessed cow stomach. The "green" is part of the name because it tends to have a greenish tinge to it, especially if the cow was grass fed and pasture raised. It is also sometimes referred to as "dirty tripe", not because it is unclean, but because it is obviously unfit for human consumption. People actually do eat cow stomach, but cow stomach for human consumption is completely different, they have to sterilize it for us of course, which takes away many nutrients, and so on and so on, or else we would get really sick from it.

I also need to think about the whole bones thing more. I already did my research with WDJ and the other resources they referred to, but I think rather than buy an uber expensive grinder that can withstand grinding bones, I'll search around and see if any of my local butchers would be willing to try doing it for me on a regular basis. I got that idea from WDJ too! :] I have a raw beef bone w/ marrow and a little meat and tendons and blood and all that good stuff from Nature's Vareity in the fridge now for Lexie, and she can't get enough of that thing! It smells a bit, and its gross sitting there watching her gnaw on it and pull stuff off like you see on Animal Planet, but its worth it.

I'll have to try grain-free again w/ my ragdoll cat, Charlie. We tried Wellness CORE Feline, and he totally loved it at first, but as what had happened with several previous foods (he's a finicky feline), he got tired of it in time, and then started leaving alot in his bowl each morning. So, we tried EaglePack Holistic Select all-natural Chicken and brown rice cat food (that brand of dog food was approved by WDJ too), and so far, this is the longest Charlie's gone without changing his mind all of a sudden! He hardly leaves anything in his bowl, if anything at all! And he was a little underweight, and has "filled out" to a more decent weight for his body frame. His coat is amazing (as all Ragdoll cat's coats should be L0L) as well. I'm going to try converting him to raw food again, it didn't work with him the first go around, but I know if I'm persistent, he'll eventually cave in, especially for the uber-smelly tripe!

Good luck!

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
alm-nin: I strongly reccomend subscribing to The Whole Dog Journal.

Actually, I subscribed to The Whole Dog Journal a couple of weeks ago, and I'm waiting for my first issue!
I was at the pet store today looking at foods, and the ingredients for Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul looked pretty good, it has less than 400 calories per cup, and was quite a bit cheaper than Wellness. I know a couple people in this thread have already mentioned this food too, so I think I might try it when I run out of Wellness. Plus, I've heard that you should rotate foods every couple months or so, so maybe I can rotate between this and the Wellness.

I was interested to find at the Dog Food Analysis website that the ingredient beet pulp is controversial and can cause problems for some pets. Now I'm wondering if that was my dog's problem with the Eagle Pack food! I used to get Eagle Pack for free where I used to work, so I tried almost every variety of their holistic line, but my dog's allergies and itching were horrible on every one. And it looks like almost every one of their foods has beet pulp in it. Now that I think about it, one of my cats seemed to develop allergies once when I tried a bag of Eagle cat food!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Whole Dog Food's journal is okay. But they have some foods on their list that aren't that great. As far as Eagle Pack goes, they have corn in their stuff. So it's not that great.
sophistacavy: The Tasin T-108 grinder is actually good for grinding bones. I don't know if the waranty would still be good though....But I know I found a place where they have a list of grinders which the companys don't care if you use them to grinder bones as well.
pennykit&amanda: Read this. At the bottom of the page it has a food list that are good. Even though it is for cats, those same brands are good for dogs to. Except for Pet Promise, under the with grains but no corn wheat or soy, but Pet Promise has corn in it.

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I think I'm gonna switch to Innova. Comparing those ingredients to our Science Diet... it does look like garbage!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I feed my three doggies diamond dog food for adult dogs. It has always worked for me.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Diamond is bad to.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think Diamond was involved in the pet food recall crisis, wasn't it?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yes, it has been on the recall list more then one time, and it's low quality with corn in it.
And by-products. Let me explain: They need by-products, but most of the time the by-products they put in commercial pet food is mostly un-fit for consumption. Meaning it could be cancerous etc.
God knows what else they put in them.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
"Food Pets Die For" is a very good book saying what goes into pet food.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I had read something about that online before. I'm shocked. But yet I'm not. They do it purely for money, they don't care whatsoever about the animals.
I want to get that book to read the whole thing.

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
"Food Pets Die For" is a very good book saying what goes into pet food.
I actually have that book and it is very good. Make sure you get the new edition of it that was just released, I think it's the third edition. It has a lot of new information in it about the major recall in 2007 and her new recommendations of commercial food since the recalls.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
How many pages does the book have?
I still have some Christmas money so I will probably get it with that.

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
How many pages does the book have?
I still have some Christmas money so I will probably get it with that.
My copy of the book has 201 pages, it says "Third Edition New And Updated" on the cover, and is copyright 2008.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Thats a great idea of something for me to get with my christmas money, thanks guineapigluver1!! I've wanted that book before too, it looks great and informative.

Hey, does anyone know if Wellness Large Breed puppy is appropriate to feed to a black lab puppy? Are labs considered large breed enough to be fed large breed dog food?
Thanks if you know!!

GP_lover

Cavy Slave
not to kill this or anything but i feed my dogs Iams and its called healthy naturals.

just thought i would share!:)

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Labradors are considered large breed. Hate to break it to you, but Iams is even worse then Science Diet.

GP_lover

Cavy Slave
well its the only dog food my dog can eat with out throwing up.

yes i know labs are large dog breeds, my neighbor has one.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I was saying that about labs to sophistacavy. If you haven't tried gradually switching the food, you should try. And I mean gradually, very slowly if that's his reaction, but if I were you I would do anything to get him off that garbage. If their stomach is upset they eat grass and that makes them throw-up.

GP_lover

Cavy Slave
well i don't have a lab, i have a dachshund and a jack Russel mix.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.