Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Does Your Pig Snarl?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I know this might sound ridiculous, but I'm curious if anyone else has a snarling pig. I think one of my pigs snarls.

Fitzroy snarls when I have to trim his nails, clean his chin, comb his fur or do anything else he doesn't particularly like me to do. He also snarls at the vet when he is getting checked over. It's so funny to watch lol - he completely draws up one whole side of his upper lip, pushes his bottom lip to the side and stares right at you.

Here's a pic I took when taking him out to trim his nails - as you can see, he looks like he isn't happy. And this was taken mid-snarl - the lip is usually all the way up on one side as far as it can go!

Does Your Pig Snarl?

I thought he might be uncomfortable so I've tried different ways of holding him and even tried wrapping him in a towel - but he'll snarl just the same. And he doesn't do it all the time when he is held or is out of the cage, just if it involves any sort of guinea pig maintenance to be done.

It just stuns me because I would never imagine a guinea pig as the type of animal that would snarl and none of the other boys in my herd snarl. I've had the boys chatter their teeth at me when I have to clean their grease gland or trim Delroy's hair - but nothing else really.

Is it really snarling or something else?

Oh, you mean a sneer. A snarl is a noise--a threatening noise, like a growl.

I've seen pigs sneer when I try to give them something they don't like. I call it a "yuck" face.

Mine don't but your guy is too cute even when making his monster face!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.