Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Does this look like ok hay?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So a few days ago I was at the pet store (One that doesn't sell pets of course) buying a few things for my furry friends. I looked around at the hay to see what they had, and the only thing I saw was a bag that read "It's real hay! Watch in amazement as your animal eats it!" So I just guessed that it wasn't good quality. xD I asked the lady at the desk while I was checking out, if they had any other hay, or if they knew of a place I could get some near here. She said that there were cheap bails in the back, so I went to check them out, the only ones that they had were a really brown looking bail, or a bigger greener looking one, so I bought that on a whim, just because I was running out of hay, and it was $15 dollars for a 50 pound compressed bail, which is less then I would pay for 5 pounds of KMS. So I'm wondering if it is ok quality hay to feed the pigs? I don't know how to tell myself, so I thought that I would just take some pictures and leave to work to you all. xD I also don't know how long it was stored for at this pet store. It would be great if it was good quality, because it's much cheaper to buy this then KMS, plus I don't have to wait a week for it to get to me when I am running low. Here are the pictures, if you need anymore just let me know! :D

Thanks,
The human, Fus, Ro Dah, Godric, and Phoenix

WP 000309 WP 000311 WP 000310

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Does it have a lot of stem pieces? Most of my pigs will only eat green, leafy strands.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The green part looks very nice. Just toss the brown or yellow stuff. If you have a yard, hay makes a good mulch. You might even have some hay sprout up from the seeds that fall off of it. My guinea pigs eat any part of the hay. The leaves contain more protein but the stems have more fiber. For $15, that's a great buy.

ppguineapigs

Cavy Slave
That actually looks really good, i buy the best i could find, but my piggie really would just eat any kind, so dont worry that much, you dont think that they get the best timothy hay in the nature right? lol good luck!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! Hopefully my pigs will eat it, *Crosses fingers* as they are REALLY picky about what hay they have, they won't even eat Oxbow most of the time, the only hay I have gotten them to really eat and enjoy is KMS, or just grass. Though if they don't like it, I have a friend who has a guinea pig, and is trying to learn more about their care from me, so I will just give the bail to her. :)

ppguineapigs

Cavy Slave
haha youve got some picky piggies! my piggie will eat whatever hay i give him, as long as he has a lot to lay down and munch on it, he's happy! hope they like it! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it's all in the presentation. Put it in a nice, big pile in the corner of the cage and I'll bet they'll even roll around in it. My pigs love digging right into their hay. Quite a few like to sleep on it or dig under it.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Haha yeah my piggies love to make tunnels in their hay, so that they can sleep inside of it and run through it. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study over just piles of hay VS hay racks? Personally two of my pigs just flat out refuse to eat from hay racks. The other two will, however I know they don't eat as much as they do when it's in a pile, and I would think that having to keep their necks up like that all the time would hurt. I have three huge hay pile spots around that cage, when I run out of the hay I was using as a filler until I found some more, I will add it into their cage and see what happens! Hopefully they love it! :D