Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump does she need to see a vet?

• Thread starter englishdaffodil
  • Start date

englishdaffodil

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone--Rosie has a lump on her chest, in between her front legs. I don't think I've ever felt it there before, but I am a new pig mommy and it's always possible that I just never noticed it.

I checked out the lump pages on Guinea Lynx. Of the possibilities there, it looks most like a fatty lipoma. It's in the wrong place for a mammary tumor, and it is covered with fur.

She is otherwise just fine--behaving normally, including eating, drinking, peeing, pooping. If anything she's been chattier than usual for about two weeks. She hasn't lost any weight. She doesn't fuss when I touch the lump.

I know that she had ovarian cysts at the rescue. Is there any possible connection to this lump?

Should I get her to the vet or just keep an eye on her? I will say that so far I've had a tendency to freak out about normal pig stuff just because I don't *know* what's common and what's not, so I am trying hard not to worry here. At the same time, I want her to take her in if she needs it.

Thank you!

If it's soft, squishy, moves easily, and doesn't seem to hurt, it may well be a fatty lipoma. You might want to have it checked out by the vet, because burst cysts can be hard to deal with, but it certainly doesn't sound like an emergency.

What kind of treatment did she have for the ovarian cysts, surgery or hormone injections?

It's not a terribly hard lump, but it's not soft or squishy, either.

She had surgery for the cysts. Do you think it might be related? Do pigs get cysts other places on their bodies?

Thank you, bpatters!

They do get cysts and lumps in other places. I suppose it's possible that this one is related to the ovarian cysts, but it's really not likely at all.

If it's not soft and squishy, I'd take her in to see the vet. Fatty lipomas, which are always benign, are soft and squishy, and can almost always be diagnosed just by the way they feel. Other lumps can't, and may require a biopsy to determine what they are.

OK, thank you. I will get her in to her vet. Much appreciated!

Is it down underneath her, or up more on her neck?

Well lol, semantics--where does a piggie's neck end and her chest begin?! IMHO it's too far down to be her "neck"--it's in-between her front legs, underneath her. I would say that's her chest.

Update: Rosie saw the vet this afternoon and is having surgery first thing tomorrow to remove the mass.

Vet's not sure what it is--as we suspected here, it's in an odd place and not immediately identifiable. She's also not sure if it's attached to the ribs or what. She expects we'll have more info after it's off.

I'm so worried! Never been through surgery with a piggy before. Good thoughts and prayers would be really welcome!

Positive thoughts and prayers are headed Rosie's way...... I hope it's nothing serious.

[GuineaPigCages.com] does she need to see a vet?

We're home! Surgery went well. She came home and ran all over her cage--she is clearly SO relieved to be back! She is now eating up a storm, despite the vet saying she probably wouldn't until that compression bandage comes off later this evening. Lol. Living up to the "pig" part of her name--that's my girl!

Unfortunately, it was definitely a tumor. Dr. Gunn said it was really attached to the chest muscle and difficult to get off. We will know more after the pathology results come back next week, but I have to say it's not sounding so great right now. I've only had her three months! I sure hope I don't have to let her go too soon.

I am so hyped up and exhausted from worrying about her all day...I feel like I could run a marathon, eat an entire pizza, and then sleep for a week!

View attachment 24182

We're home! Surgery went well. She came home and ran all over her cage--she is clearly SO relieved to be back! She is now eating up a storm, despite the vet saying she probably wouldn't until that compression bandage comes off later this evening. Lol. Living up to the "pig" part of her name--that's my girl!

Unfortunately, it was definitely a tumor. Dr. Gunn said it was really attached to the chest muscle and difficult to get off. We will know more after the pathology results come back next week, but I have to say it's not sounding so great right now. I've only had her three months! I sure hope I don't have to let her go too soon.

I am so hyped up and exhausted from worrying about her all day...I feel like I could run a marathon, eat an entire pizza, and then sleep for a week!

I hope you get good news next week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.