Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Does he really have pneumonia?

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63610

I
thought I'd post here for additional advice. He's really lethargic and the vet says it's pneumonia. Is there any way to help him hang on? He seems much worse than yesterday. If he survives tonight it will be a miracle.

He's on Orbax (antibiotic) but I don't think it's helping. Enchanted is also on Critical Care, hand fed four times daily.

Is it really pneumonia, his lungs are congested according to an x-ray and he has trouble breathing. Someone suggested heart problems. But this is the first URI-related thing he's ever had. And he's never had a problem with deep sleeping.

Help! I doubt he's going to make it

GL's got the pneumonia experts. We'll keep our fingers crossed, but they'll be the ones who can offer the most help.

Sending healing thought to your piggy!

I'm very sorry to hear that. I took one of my pigs to the emergency vet (close to midnight) after being very worried throughout the day about his breathing, and he died shortly after I got him there. The vet said it sounded like he had water in his lungs and that it was pneumonia. He said it can be helped if it's detected early enough, but unfortunately for my pig, I hadn't.

I'm sorry though, I don't have any advice to offer other than what I was told about detecting it early, which isn't much help at this point. Hoping for the best for you and your pig.

How is your pig today? Pneumonia can creep up on you--pigs hide their symptoms so well that often you don't know there's a problem until it's very serious. It's a good idea to weigh your guinea pig weekly--pigs that don't feel good don't eat as much as normal and lose weight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.