Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does he need a friend?

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
A cavy newbie means you've been on this site for less than 30 days, being a slave means you've been here for more than 30 days. You can donate some money to be a cavy star or champion. If you break forum rules you could get the title of cavy caged. It's just a title to show others how long you've been here/contributions to the site

According to the cage size chart, 14 sq feet is the minimum for 4 girls, so unless there is dominance issues or you really want to expand. Your husband is right about it being enough space

Okay, thank you. I don't have any dominant girls, they all seem to know their place and the boy is in his own cage next to the girls. Does he need a friend or is he okay by himself? My husband holds and plays with him alot because he is by himself.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: Here's my Cage! (No rudeness for how small though)

Okay, thank you. I don't have any dominant girls, they all seem to know their place and the boy is in his own cage next to the girls. Does he need a friend or is he okay by himself? My husband holds and plays with him alot because he is by himself.

90% of guinea pigs need a companion. There are a select few that absolutely cannot get along with others. But 90% of them need a companion.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave

I personally think it'd be best for him to be with a friend. You can either adopt another boar or get yours neutered and after 3 weeks of the operation, put him with the girls. This would require you to expand your cage. Although, you could just connect the 2 cages assuming they're C&C cages.

Im not sure on the risks of neutering and if that'd be better than getting another boar. So hopefully another person can fill you in on that.

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer

I have done quite a bit of research on neuturing and it is risky since guineas are so little. it scares me to take a chance like that. I have tried to introduce him to the neighbors boy and he was chatering his teeth like crazy. Maybe I could find a young boy to bond him with.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave

I have done quite a bit of research on neuturing and it is risky since guineas are so little. it scares me to take a chance like that. I have tried to introduce him to the neighbors boy and he was chatering his teeth like crazy. Maybe I could find a young boy to bond him with.

You should adopt a boy, but dont separate them if there is teeth chattering, mounting, ect. Only separate when blood is shed. Everything else is usually normal dominance stuff. Eventually they'll get used to each other and they'll only be small bouts of dominance stuff.

Remember to do introductions in neutral territory, not in the cage. I made this mistake but I was lucky and my pigs get along (to an extent anyway)

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer

You should adopt a boy, but dont separate them if there is teeth chattering, mounting, ect. Only separate when blood is shed. Everything else is usually normal dominance stuff. Eventually they'll get used to each other and they'll only be small bouts of dominance stuff.

Remember to do introductions in neutral territory, not in the cage. I made this mistake but I was lucky and my pigs get along (to an extent anyway)

When I introduced my girls I put them in the bathtub, since it was new for all of them and they bonded because they were scared. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I just love my guineas, they are alot of work but so cuddly and fun:) I always bought from petstores becaue I had no idea about adoptions and they were always sick from the pet stores and one died 6 months after I got her from stones. It was devastating. I will only rescue or adopt from now on.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sometimes introductions can be fine in the cage. Especially if it is large enough and newly cleaned.