Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Does Charlie need a friend?

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
hello everyone! My sweet piggy is five years old and I adopted him this summer. Since he has lived alone in his whole life, I'm wondering if getting him a friend would be a good idea? I really would like to see him thrive in his old years. also if I do get him a friend what age range is best since he is older? I have heard that a 1 to 2-year-old would be much too energetic for Charlie. Thanks for any advice in advance :)
aa2dd97687e4ac720fd948b47dbb84eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Yes it would be a good idea and a young pig wouldn't be too much for him.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Aww, what a big boy! Such a cutie!

Yes, I would get him a friend. It's never too late! This summer I got my 4 year old pig a bud, he was about 1 month old at the time, maybe a bit older. He's now more active and happier (I think!)

They get along pretty well, but I would suggest finding a slightly laid-back young one so that he doesn't get bored and/or wear out your older pig :)

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Yup, defiantly a good idea to get him a friend. As for the age, I'm not sure, but I'd suggest you get a piggie that's 6+ months old. This way you don't have to buy alfalfa hay and pellets for them.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
Alright! I will go to my local guinea pig rescue soon. If the new piggy is around a year can he eat cavy cuisine, Timothy hay, fruit, veggies, and water? Or do I have to add special things to a new baby's diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Actually you can get a piggy younger than 6 months they can eat the timothy hay and pellets all you would have to do is give the young one parsley for their calcium intake until they are 6 months then all you would have to do is stop the parsley.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The new pig can eat what your current pig eats, no matter how old it is. If it's under six months, it will need some supplements to give it a little more calcium. A sprig or two of parsley should do the trick.