Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Does anyones guinea pig come when you call their name?

Guinea Pigzzzzz

Cavy Slave
I have one that will always look up when I say Jojo, and if I am feeding Momo by hand and Jojo is wayyyyyy over on the other side of the cage (10ft. cage) doing his own thing, I just say Jojo and by the smell and voice he comes running knowing I have a treat for him.
Also, when I take Jojo out of the cage, I can put him on the couch (3 seater couch) and throw a blanket in-between us, I just tap my chest and say Jojo come, he will hike it alllllllllll the way over the blanket, pulling James Bond missions until he gets up to my chest. LOL
He does that every time he is out of the cage, AND ONLY FOR ME, not for my brother hahaha :p
If my brother is sitting on the couch with me holding Jojo, he has to forcefully keep Jojo with him, because he will always be trying to get to me. :love:
I find that so cute, does anyone else have a piggie who does the same thing or similar?

"If my brother is sitting on the couch with me holding Jojo, he has to forcefully keep Jojo with him, because he will always be trying to get to me."

Sorry meant to say "If my brother is sitting on the couch with (HIM) holding Jojo"
lol

And sorry about the quality of the video, even my voice sounds so weird lol, but had to shoot with my laptop since my blackberry recently broke. :(

Jumble comes when you call her, either by "Jumble" or her nickname (Wheeter-Bix). Mostly the others have trained us to come to them when they call us!

If I click my tongue 3 of my piggies coming running and wheeking, looking for carrots. Ben is the fastest, followed by Eddy Pig then the very cautious Buddy. Bacon will only run over if he sees the others going but he's mostly deaf, partially blind. Poor little piggy butt. :)

I swear my guinea pigs come to their individual names. Atleast the girls do. I have shown my husband and he agrees. I have 4 girls in a huge cage and I will call each one specifically and that one will come. I don't know if its the eye contact or if they actually understand the name but it works whatever it is. But it doesn't work on the boys. Mickey just automatically comes to the cage whenever I am near it. Goofy and Donald only come when I have a treat and could care less if I am calling them or not.

How do you train them to come to you? I don't even think my piggies know there name. :ashamed:

Mine both come to their names and their names only. During free time I will say "Simba!" or "Wilbur!" and they will run over. When I get up they follow me. I also taught Wilbur how to spin around in a circle when I say "circle".

How do you train them to come to you? I don't even think my piggies know there name. :ashamed:

It's quite easy but more so for some pigs than others. You should start by taking one pig out of the cage in a safe carrier or something and focus on one. Hold a treat in your hand and repeat their name until they come, once they have begun to eat stop (let them have a few bites). Get up go to the other side of the cage and do the same, repeat until they learn.

One of my first guinea pigs Jack used to come when I called! I used to say 'Jack' or 'Jacky' and he'd come bounding over :)
I didn't really train him into it, he just came over to me naturally.
Broccoli my current cavy does not come over though when I call his name. He's always been quite shy though, no matter how much I get him out to play.

I just talk to them in a certain pitch and all 4 of my pigs think they're getting food. Does that count? No? Drats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.