Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Does anyone know what this is?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My friend fount a spot of thinner fur on Twix, so I decided to check it out to see what it was. Here's what I found. I think it looks kind of like a scab. View attachment 22372 I'm sorry if you can't see it that well.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Could it be a bite mark, with some hair pulled out with it? Do you have another pig?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Yes, I do. I'm not sure about the bite mark, but now that you mention it, it does look like one.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
It could be from a tuft of hair being pulled out possibly. Honestly I'm not sure on either, just a guess.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it could be. He doesn't mind me touching that area and is as energetic as ever. I'll wait and see what others think...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It does look like a bite wound. Just keep an eye out for swelling and discharge.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Thanks, [MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION] I will do that. How often should I check it to make sure it's not getting infected or swelling?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
OK, some questions now:

1. Does the wound have to be washed?

2. How can I tell if it's infected?

3. How often do I need to check the wound?

4. How long should the pigs be seperated if they need to be seperated?

Sorry, I've never had a pig with a bite wound before. Thanks in advance.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Can anyone please answer my questions?

Senamian

Cavy Slave
1. you can wash it to avoid infections. I use warm water/epsom salt mix, which does not sting, and cleans very well. I've used this method on sores on previous cavys, and the sores went away within 1-3 days :) A soft cloth, paper towel, is your best bet. Let it dry itself - to avoid towel particles from getting into it.

2. infection will show easily: puss, pain, swelling, and a "rotting" smell.

3. check it every day.

4. If the fighting isn't reoccuring, and they do get along with very little to no scats, they can be together. If one is bullying, you may need to separate and try reintroducing 1-4 weeks later(NOT in cages, but in no-one's territory!). If it still does not work, they need to be kept separate for good. Some cavys are just meanies.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Don't overdo it on the epsom salt treatment; epsom salt can dry out a wound, which will delay healing time.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
OK. Thanks. I'm wondering now if he could've maybe gotten cut somehow or gotten scratched, since Marble is not a bit aggressive. But, hey. He could've gotten annoyed or bit him on accident, right? Twix is actually the cranky spaz. :)

Senamian

Cavy Slave
I use half a teaspoon to 4 cups water :) barely any salt lol. And only one treatment per 3 days, works. If it does get infected though I do recommend a vet check because since cavys can be fragile, it's better safe than sorry!!

Honey is not a bit aggressive either but she decided to be cranky yesterday and was bullying another guinea. Just...some days :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I usually don't even wash wounds like this, but just watch for swelling (lump) or smelly discharge. If the scab gets really dry and itchy, I may put some extra virgin coconut oil on it.

Just leave them together. Even bonded pigs sometimes get mad at each other.

It's always possible it was self inflicted. This is usually the case with mites.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Well, here's an update: I was checking it more today and I think it might actually be a fungus or something. Twix was munching on a carrot, so it was easier for me to look without him being curious about what's around him. :) Anyway, there's a hard black spot about 2 mm. across (scab, I think) which is either encircled or half-encircled by a patch of skin (about 3-4 mm. across) with no fur. So, it's like this: black spot, then no fur, then the skin around that is kind of hard in one spot. It doesn't look like a bite. I got some better pictures if you need to see them if you don't understand my explination.

dobiebabie

Cavy Slave
Posting pics would make it easier to understand and we can compare it to the other one you posted.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Does anybody have any ideas?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Help, please?

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
The top picture looks like it's a scab that healed than got picked or scratched off. (It looks like there is scabby type tissue on the hair next to the black patch).

The other two - look to me like various stages of healing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.