Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Does anyone feed different types of hay primarily instead of Timothy?

CMDixon7

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

So does anyone feed other types of hay instead of Timothy? I have been searching the area I live (about 100 mile radius) and have been coming up empty handed with Timothy but have been given lots of options for other types. (Which is ironic because looking on growing maps this should be prime timothy grass territory :) )

Does anyone know if other types of grass can be staples in the piggers diet, I know the only one you really here about is Timothy. Thanks for any insight!

Any long strand grass hay will do -- timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome.

Thanks for the responce! They love their orchard grass..Kinda funny that they were both surrenders and just skinny little things and at their vet appt yesterday they were up to weight already:) No way they were coming into an italian household and not eating well hehe

Orchard grass is probably the second most popular type of hay that I read about for piggies.

we dont even have timothy here, Ive never seen it anyway, we just feed ours meadow hay :)

I feed Blue from KM - she ships it right to my door and it's awesome :)

Drs. Foster and Smith sells Timothy and other oxbow hays by large bag or 25 or more lbs. Free shipping too :)

I have found my piggies don't really care for other hays. They eat Orchard Grass pretty slowly. Hated Botanical Hay.

I'm anxious to try like Oat or something the next time I order..

My guys hate oat grass, and only ate it because I made them eat it till it was gone. It looked like straw, too. I feed Orchard grass, but I was wondering if this much softer grass is OK to use long term in regards to wearing their teeth down? I like to use it for bedding in their hideys, so that the risk of hay / eye pokes is lower. Then they can lounge and munch, LOL

My guys hate oat grass, and only ate it because I made them eat it till it was gone. It looked like straw, too. I feed Orchard grass, but I was wondering if this much softer grass is OK to use long term in regards to wearing their teeth down? I like to use it for bedding in their hideys, so that the risk of hay / eye pokes is lower. Then they can lounge and munch, LOL

Oat grass should be given as a treat once in awhile. It's a cereal grain hay and not a grass hay. Orchard grass is lower in calcium than timothy and much softer so I prefer to give it to them.

I use either timothy or orchard. My pigs prefer orchard, and it's better for my allergies so that's the kind I usually buy.

Pinky-Hey, thanks! One of my girls has sludgy urine, and I didn't realize Orchard grass had less calcium. I'm going to feed more of it. I'm trying to cut back on their calcium as much as I can to prevent stones. Do you know if it's enough to wear their teeth down? I don't want to trade stones for teeth problems.

On a different note, I've never fed bluegrass or brome, either. I'll have to order some for variety.

Pinky-Hey, thanks! One of my girls has sludgy urine, and I didn't realize Orchard grass had less calcium. I'm going to feed more of it. I'm trying to cut back on their calcium as much as I can to prevent stones. Do you know if it's enough to wear their teeth down? I don't want to trade stones for teeth problems.

On a different note, I've never fed bluegrass or brome, either. I'll have to order some for variety.

Orchard grass is just as good for their teeth as timothy. I also cut out romaine which is higher in calcium than green or red leaf lettuce. I have a pig that has sludgy urine sometimes but it's decreased since I cut out the romaine. I bought bluegrass from a farmer but it wasn't good quality. I fed them some of the nice parts of it and they liked it. None of mine liked the brome I offered them, though.

I use either timothy or orchard. My pigs prefer orchard, and it's better for my allergies so that's the kind I usually buy.

I may try that hay out because Timothy gives me allergies bad when I mess with it. Glad someone posted this question!

I may try that hay out because Timothy gives me allergies bad when I mess with it. Glad someone posted this question!

I used to use timothy hay for years without any allergies. In the past few years timothy hay causes me to sneeze, get rashes, and bothers my breathing. I haven't had any of these problems with orchard!!

Awesome! I need to order some! I grew up on a farm and my dad always has Timothy hay, it drives my allergies insane! But when we go to Texas this summer for my husband deployment I'll have a free supply of hay lol well as long as he gives it to them!

Last edited:
We only feed blue grass due to allergies and we order from KMS. The best you can get so long and fresh and it smells so good so sweet.

(broken link removed)

Try searching "timothy hay" in the for sale section of your local craigslist.

Also keep in mind this is THE worst time of the year to purchase hay. Most farmers (live stock people, horse people) bought up all the hay to get their animals throught the winter without fresh grass. So supplies are low and if there was any hay left over from the end of the last growing season they probably used it to shore up their land, barns, and personal animals.

The best time of the year to buy hay is Aug-Oct.

Aside from Timothy, I also give my piggies Meadow Hay. I live in Manila and Timothy does not naturally grow here. The seller from whom I get it from imports her Timothy hay supply from Belgium so the stocks are seasonal.

I also feed them banana leaves which they enjoy very much. Since the banana tree is known as the biggest herb in the world, in a botanical sense, it is considered grass. I give them banana-leaf strips like the size of blades of grass and they munch on them like there's no tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.