Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do you hate it when people confuse hamsters with guinea pigs?

My brother often refers to them as the "Ratz" :p

Whenever I have family over they always say, "so where are the gerbil mice things?" It drives me crazy. Also when people at the petstore point to guinea pigs and say, "oh I think that's a hamster!" I'm just standing there like..T.T *facepalm*

Our patio installer walked past the guinea pigs cages, stopped, did a double take and said, "Those are some big hamsters you got there....."

Wow! I'm not the only one! I have to tell you, this at least makes me feel better. I think. Then again, maybe this will drive me even crazier. My pigs have been called hamsters, gerbils, and rats so many times. I have actually had grown adults who are shocked that guinea pigs really aren't any of the above mentioned critters. Seriously? Although, children always know that my boys are guinea pigs while the parents have tried to correct them and say they are gerbils, etc.

My dad still calls my GPs gerbils about half the time. I had gerbil(s) till about 1 month ago, so I don't really blame him. but I just grit my teeth and say to him, "Dad, they're guinea pigs. You drove an hour to get them, I would hope that you know what they are." That shuts him up pretty quickly! :D Surprisingly, my dad actually thinks that my babies are very cute. The gerbils to him were "the mice, no um wait, gerbils! Yeah, gerbils! whispering to mom: Right honey?" That is a quote. I kid you not. :p but now he like to (try) and play with them and pet them. (they hate it.) So I live with it... :( Though, i do think that the patio guy story is funniest!

yes!!! I hate that!! why doesn't anyone know what guinea pigs are!!

yes! my grandma always calls him a hamster. Also when ever my neighbor sees my guinea pig she either calls it a hamster or a chipmunk :p it does annoy me but i think its funny that they cant remember that he is a guinea pig

Yup, all the time! We had a remodel contractor out to see the house and the kids had the gpigs out playing and he kept talking about our hamsters, even though the kids kept correcting him. He was old, I'll give him a pass, lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.