Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Do you ever...

coxbrea151

Cavy Slave
Does anyone on here ever get looked at weird when people see you not eating meat?

my family are all big meat eaters, so i'm the only vegetarian. They always look at me weird, or try to get me to eat meat. At school kids always ask weird questions as to why I don't eat meat. They all look at you weird, does anyone else getlooked at weird?

i'm not a vegetarian, but i don't eat much meat and i'm very finicky about the type of meat i eat. (only chicken and some beef)

i have a few people in my life who get onto me for not eating meat or being too picky. i always feel bad when i'm at someone's house and they prepare a meal but i don't eat the meat because it isn't a type i like.

That always happens to me at family functions becuse over 50% of the food is... MEAT

For what it's worth...

I commend you for being a vegetarian. It takes a lot of will power to make a decision like that and stick to it, especially if you were raised eating meat and switched later on in life.

Personally I have never been able to do it. I get more and more discouraged each time I fail. I guess the best way I can say this is, I admire you for your decision.

Don't let others get you down. Never let someone else negatively affect your life.

I have some who think it is wierd. At work the young guys all give me a hard time. Some are into hunting and being macho. So when one of them brought deer meat he had killed and I wouldnt eat it. He made fun of me. My son at times gives me a hard time about it also.
I don't care. I do not like the inhumane killing of the animals we eat. I do not like eating something that is killed for me. He/she has a life too. I am just learning that and coming to believe it.
Stay true to yourself and what you believe. You will be better off for it.

I'm new to being a vegetarian, my friends and family think I'm nuts and it won't last. I do have 2 family members who are long time vegetarians and they are a great help! I decided to become one because I hate the thought of people eating sweet little piggies, then relized what a hypocrite I was being by ingesting other animals. I have to say, it's been very easy so far except the day I found out I was allergic to vegan hot dogs(not fun when your tongue itches and swells up:sick:). [MENTION=234]Suzielovespiggie, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about being better off when you stay true to what you believe.

Yep! :) I was a little kid when I decided I wanted to be a vegetarian. I'm talking 4 years old. I knew where meat came from and didn't understand why I would eat a pig or cow but not a cat or dog. I fought with my parents about it until high school. Scratch that, I fought with my parents about it until I moved out! My parents were convinced that I would literally not grow right or becoming horribly ill if I didn't consume meat. With all the awesome resources out now, I think it would be a lot easier to convince parents. At school, people thought it was strange as well and today, some people still think its weird. Remember, you are not the only vegetarian at your school. It may not seem like it, but I guarantee there are others. As you get older, many more will pop up too. When you get comments or strange looks, you can either just ignore them and eventaully, people will get bored with you being a veg and move on. Or, you can use it as an opportunity to explain why you are a veg. Tell them why you believe it and you can even thrown in some statistics if you want. Show them you proud in being a vegetarian. If someone is rude to me about it, sometimes I give a statistic about me being less likely to develop cancer. That usually shuts them up. My family are big meat-eaters too and my husbands family kills their own meat. (and does not raise them humanly by any means). It makes me proud for making the decision to live a healthier lifestyle and to treat all animals equally. It gets a lot easier too. Also, most of the people who make rude comments to me are to the ones who now are very unhealthy and ignorant people. One is an overweight alcoholic who also has a drug problem. He used to tell me that vegetarianism wasn't healthy. Ironic, huh? Remember, however you want to approach comments/looks is up to you. If you want to just ignore them, then ignore them. If you want to educate them, educate them. If you want to make a snarky comeback, have a list ready! The most important part is that you feel you are doing something great. Be proud of yourself, you are making a difference. Remember, you might just end up being an inspiration to someone else!

That's not all that happens. People scold me for "not getting enough nutrition", or call me names, etc. I still am not sure why they are so compelled to "change me back", but it gives me more chances to share my story and talk about how much veganism has helped me.

When I first "converted" - definitely. But it's been a few years now so everyone I know is used to it, and the place I recently moved to is very veg-friendly so it's nothing out of the ordinary. It seems that veg-ism is a growing trend, so I wouldn't expect the weird looks to last for long :)

I'm glad i've had a very easy time being a vegetarian a lot of people in my year at high school seem to be vegetarian aswell, good luck and i hope people begin to understand that you do not eat meat. the only problem that i've had is even after almost 2 years my mum makes me dinner with meat and i have to make my own dinner and eat later than everyone else :/

That's not all that happens. People scold me for "not getting enough nutrition", or call me names, etc. I still am not sure why they are so compelled to "change me back", but it gives me more chances to share my story and talk about how much veganism has helped me.

I think you get those more extreme reactions form people when your choice makes them uncomfortable about their choices. Lots of people don't like to think about where their meat comes from, they try not to think about animals when they pick up their plastic wrapped meat in the shop, (did you know there was even some market research done to prove that most people won't buy meat in the shop if you put a picture of the animal it comes from on the packet),If they thought about it for long they would probably like to be a vegetarian, only they haven't got either the will power or the courage to do it, but when they meet someone who makes them think about it they feel guilty, and have to put that person down to make themselves feel better.
I am not a vegetarian, but I am comfortable with my choices, and find no need to to put down anyone else for their beliefs, and I commend you for the courage it takes to follow yours.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my sister in law is. We've all asked a lot of questions in an effort to learn more about it, without having any intention of becoming vegetarians ourselves. I'm sure it sometimes felt like the inquisition! Liz always stayed calm, and answered us honestly, and offered some alternatives to make meals more comfortable for her. I know some of the strange looks were because we would sit down to dinner, then feel bad because it didn't look like she was having an enjoyable meal, and we felt bad for not knowing what to make for her. It's hard to understand what to make for someone when the majority of your own meals contain meat. Also, vegetarians come in all different "types". Some don't eat meat, some don't eat any animal products, some will eat butter or milk, but not cheese or eggs, ugh! One of my co workers considers herself vegetarian, but she eats chicken nuggets-huh? That's meat!

The upshot is, just do your thing, and answer/educate as you see fit. Some people are just watching you because they are too shy to ask questions, or are afraid to offend. As for family, I would just tell them that they don't have to agree with you, but you don't always agree with them, either. Familial love is about acceptance and respect, not neccessarily about agreeing with everything each other does.

The only thing vegans/vegitarians have deficiencies in nutritionally is B12.

I'm an omni. I enjoy eating meat, and I get mine from local farmers who raise their animals humanely and slaughter them in a humane manner as well. (no feed lot, no poking no prodding, just a quick merciful bolt to the head) They let their animals be animals for the duration of their lives, and yes it takes longer to grow, since there are no growth hormones and crap in the meat.

I don't come down on people who choose to be vegan/veggi, as long as they don't get all sanctimonious and preachy on me. Eat what you wanna eat, I don't care. Just don't come down on me. (I'm the same with religion tbh.)

Unfortunately if you ARE Vegan/Veggy you have to give me at least 24hrs notice that you're dropping by for dinner so I can prep the legumes for your dinner properly. I have a ton of Veggie recipes, that I actually enjoy eating myself on occasion. Just need 24hrs to soak the peas/beans before cooking because I use bulk dried...(cheaper that way)

I've never had a problem with B12, just Iron.

Spinach and other dark leafy greens are really high in iron. I <3 Fresh lightly steamed spinach >.> Loves me some dark leafy greens..I get anemia pretty easily too, and I eat meat! (I just don't eat alot of rare red meat any more since steak is expensive..so I'm stuck with ground beef..an abysmal substitute IMO)

B12 is only a concern for vegans, actually, because dairy products contain it and I believe eggs have some as well. It's only necessary in tiny amounts and the human body is able to recycle it efficiently. It's an important nutrient that shouldn't be overlooked, but it's nothing to obsess over.

I'm a vegetarian myself, gradually transitioning to veganism, and after almost two years, I'm finally getting a teeny tiny bit of respect :eek:ptimist: I think that everyone I know has asked me "What about the poor PLANTS!?" in a mocking tone at least once.

STORY OF MY LIFE. All the time people look at me funny. My grand parents used to put meat on my plate and pester me to eat it. I never did, of course. It's such a pain. And at school its so much worse. I get meat waved under my nose, told I'm iron deficient, told that omnivores are smarter then herbivores etc. It's AWFUL. Then the second I launch into how healthy I am (after being attacked by someone else) I'm told to stop being so preachy. It bugs me to no end.

I've never had an iron problem, but I do take a b12 supplement because I'm lactose intolerant and don't consume a lot of eggs.

Even after 2 years the teasing hasn't let up. Being 15 is difficult. All my friends chow down of pepperoni pizza (yuck.) and wave it under my nose etc.

I do agree with that though, a lot of people don't want to think about where it comes from. And when you do, it's quite horrendous.

I sit with someone at lunch who is a vegetarian. I honestly wouldn't have even noticed if she hadn't mentioned it. I rarely ever see her eating salads and the food she eats looks like food with meat. She eats veggie burgers, casseroles, tacos, etc. If you don't mention it, people might not even notice.

I can't say that I ever noticed. I was raised vegetarian, so I never gave it a second thought.

However, as an adult, I met a woman who actually yelled at me, saying I didn't know what I was doing eating vegetarian and that it was going to kill me or something. I was startled and taken aback, but as I said, I was raised vegetarian. Eventually I got past the shock (she spoke so sharply it felt like I had been physically hit- hard!) and brushed it off. In hindsight, I think the woman was either crazy or drunk!

People have asked why I'm vegetarian, but I just took it like they were just curious. It's been a way of life to me so long, it's a granted for me. So I just answer the question and brush it off. :)

Edit:

Some people have asked what I eat like there's nothing but meat to eat. Sorry, folks, but meat is only one food group- not 3! Besides fruits and vegetables there's nuts, beans, grains, and (if you're vegetarian not vegan) dairy. It's possible to be vegetarian and be healthy or fat, depending on how you eat.

One of my co workers considers herself vegetarian, but she eats chicken nuggets-huh? That's meat!

When people asked me questions in school, they asked if I ate chickens or fish. Umm.. no! That's meat. "No, it's not. Chicken is a bird, and fish swims." Yeah. Sorry! But they are both animals. What do you think meat is any way?

Then they asked if I ate eggs. When I told them yes, they'd say, "then you're a meat eater." Umm... no! The eggs you buy from the store, if they're any good at all, haven't been fertilized. It's not meat unless it was an animal first. Some people can be so blonde!

As for family, I would just tell them that they don't have to agree with you, but you don't always agree with them, either. Familial love is about acceptance and respect, not neccessarily about agreeing with everything each other does.

Yes! Now, try telling that to my family. :D I have problems with my family too, like every one else, but because of my back ground, there's actually food at family affairs.

My mother was raised in a family that ate meat (and still do), but they always bring substitutes. There's more then enough for every one. Of course, it's hard to be vegan and eat at church (all dishes passed in my church are vegetarian, vegetarianism is a part of my faith) or eat with family. There aren't many things passed that are vegan, but I don't feel pressured to eat meat with so many vegetarian options available.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.