Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Do I Rename?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
While I was snuggling Margo tonight, it occurred to me wither or not I should rename her. I seem to forget her name often and I don't feel like her name fits her very well. Then again, we've only had her for 3 days. She's still adjusting a bit and her true personality probably hasn't shown itself yet. I usually name my animals based off their personality.

Korra was a strong willed and a bit of a trouble maker(like the character she is named after)
Lady WAS a little lady. She seems more like a lady more lately.
And of course Piggy(AKA Mr. Whistles) was just that. A piggy and a whistler.

What are your thoughts?

I actually considered renaming Tofu. But it fit him after a few days. Can I see a pic of Margo, please?

I actually just finished editing some late night photoshoot pics. I'll probably do another photoshoot tomorrow using natural lighting as these didn't come out too great.

I renamed most mine. I have a 3 year old that I still haven't found a name that I think fits her. I'd say go for it and find one that works for you.

I think Margo works.
Just what l think-go with your heart!

I think you should re-name what you like so it will help seal your bond... but I'm a noob.

Maybe you just want to alter the name- instead of Margo with the "g" sounding like a "g" maybe go with Margie and the "g" sounding like a "j"!

Actually- I agree with gatorgirl. We have a Kitty that came to us a little under a year ago. That sneaky devil tricked us- and even the vet into thinking "she" was a girl. Well when my mom brought "her" home, my friend named her Zoey- and we thought it was okay so we kept the name. We then went back to the vet and discovered that Zoey was a he!!! So, instead we picked the name Oliver and now we have so many nicknames for him that I don't think he knows his real name! XD Anyways, my point is we feel a better bond with him because WE got to name him and essentially, "make him ours"

Hope everything works out with Margo! I think its a cute name though!

She is lovely! I'm a proponent of renaming because I like my animals to have a fresh start, and I want the name to mean something to me. For example, Amy and Quinn were Chloe and Mimi. Amy came from my Futurama trend (Borat was originally Leela until I found out he was missexed), and Quinn was named after Daria's sister from the cartoon because she has the same bubbly "I'm so great, it's all about me" personality. The name Margo is cute, but I still vote for switching it to something personally meaningful.

I renamed all my guinea pigs. I'm pretty sure they didn't know their names to begin with, and still don't, so I don't think it bothered them at all. My dog though, I kept his name. At first it was just to help with the transition and then I couldn't think of anything else to call him. :)

I don't think your piggy looks like a Marge ;) LOL! Margo is a cute name, but makes me think of a little old lady. Your piggy looks more adventurous. I would probably rename! Gus and Moe were originally Moe and Taco. Moe fits him well, he's a bit goofy with a huge Mohawk down his head and back. Taco didn't fit him at all, and made me feel like they wanted to eat him! So, he is now Gus, after the fat mouse on Cinderella :)

I renamed all my guinea pigs. I'm pretty sure they didn't know their names to begin with, and still don't, so I don't think it bothered them at all. My dog though, I kept his name. At first it was just to help with the transition and then I couldn't think of anything else to call him. :)
That's one good thing about adopting pets with unknown backgrounds. I doubt my piggy girls knew their former names, so that wasn't a consideration. For my cats and dog, I would have felt a little bad if they were already used to a name, but all were picked up as strays and just given a random name at the shelter.

I suppose I'm more worried about the rescue having issues if I want to rename Margo. Like maybe remembering that I renamed her? Or when they ask me how Margo is doing, I would go "huh? Margo?"

That's one good thing about adopting pets with unknown backgrounds. I doubt my piggy girls knew their former names, so that wasn't a consideration. For my cats and dog, I would have felt a little bad if they were already used to a name, but all were picked up as strays and just given a random name at the shelter.

The collies I had as a child all came with known names and were renamed, they didn't seem to mind too much. I can't remember what their original names were but our male was 6 months and he had a name and the female was a rescue from a foster and she had a name in her foster home. We called them Zeus and Hera. :)

The collies I had as a child all came with known names and were renamed, they didn't seem to mind too much. I can't remember what their original names were but our male was 6 months and he had a name and the female was a rescue from a foster and she had a name in her foster home. We called them Zeus and Hera. :)
Aww, those are cute names for your dogs! My dog was called Shorty in the shelter because he's a Chiweenie with stubby T-rex legs. Now he's Bolt (from the Disney movie). My elderly cat, Mewsette, was dubbed Sassy in the shelter, and my kitty, Stitch (yep, another Disney name), is a tuxedo so he was given the generic name Felix during his incarceration. They all settled very happily into their new identities.

I think it is up to you. Most guinea pigs don't respond to their names. I recently adopted 2 two year old girls, and I changed their names. They don't seem to mind :D

I renamed all 8 of mine. When I go to the rescue where I got them, I will try to call them by their rescue name since that's how they know the pigs. Sometimes I forget and I'll go "this is what Memphis did...well you knew him as Erik..."

I've decided to rename Margo as Sweet Pea AKA Sweetie. I've found myself calling her Sweetie most. Hubby thinks it fits her very well, he loves her soft fur and her cuddly nature. Says her claws are SUPER SHARP. But her soft behavior makes up for it.

I did make the rescue aware of the name change for their records. They were happy to have an update on her and said they're totally okay with me renaming her.

I have two boys, and I did NOT change their names. Piccolo and Goliath just fit them too well.
However I'm hoping to pick up two more boys tomorrow and I do plan on changing their names.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.