Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine do i need to quarantine my friend's pig?

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
well, my friend is going for a vacation and wanted to but her guinea pig at my house. she had only one guinea pig since her mate died a month ago and she did not want another one. she wanted to put her guinea pig at my place, which is fine, but can i put her in my female's cage (her gp is a sow)? or do i have to separate her in another cage? her gp is only going to stay at my place for a week. would that be safe for both our gps?
my female cage had a 8 month old (abby) sow, 4 month old (abby) sow and a desexed 1.5 year old (sheba) boar. my boar is really really friendly and he never attacks others. my 8 month old abby is a bit bossy but she should be fine. but i was just wondering is it the best to separate them? i do not have another cage and i only get a XXL dog basket and that's where i can put her (she'll be indoors living in the basket). any ideas/ suggestions appreciated. thanks guys!

If you want to avoid the possibility for spreading infection to your own guinea pigs, you need to quarantine. If you don't mind the risk, then you can put them together. First, introduce them on neutral territory to make sure they get along before placing them in the same cage. Also, make sure you have a properly sized cage that will give them both enough space of their own.

Keep them separate. I picked up 14 guinea pigs from my local shelter to transport to my rescue quite a few years ago. The shelter put them into carriers and had them ready when I got there. By the time I reached our meeting place, an unrelated female guinea pig in one of the carriers with a mother and baby guinea pig had bit off the ears of the baby. The baby survived, fortunately, but I think the 4 month old would be at risk of injury.

If you willing to take the risk that her pig will infect yours with something, and if you've got a large enough cage for them all, and if you'll do the introductions correctly in a neutral area and put them back into a cage that doesn't smell anything like any of them, then you could try it if you want. But if it were me, and I had an established herd that got along well, and the other pig was only going to stay a week, there's no way I'd do it. It's just not worth possibly upsetting the dynamics of the pigs you've got for that short a time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.