Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do Guinea pigs make good pets?

Casey

Cavy Slave
every one yes EVERYONE tells me they dont and they are just for abserving!Well are they?lol.

pennick

Cavy Slave
It all depends in what you are looking for in a pet. Guinea pigs are wonderful pets for those you enjoy observing more than interacting. Each piggy's personality is different and it takes patient work to try to socialize your pet. Not all piggies act the same. Some can be biters, loners, fighters. Many more are sweet, friendly, etc. Some interact with people more than others. I enjoy watching my piggies in their cage and enjoy lap time with them. Thats enough for me. If you are looking for a cat or dog type interaction dont get a piggy.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
If you want something that will want your attention, I would suggest looking into adopting a pair of rats. (ALL animals should go in pairs, except the obvious exceptions). A pig is good for patient people that don't mind being taken advantage of and made slaves out of. But some of our piggies love us for it. And there is no sound like walking up the stairs and hearing your piggies wheek for your veggies.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Piggies are good for nuerotic people like me. I have a hard time keeping work nice and clean and orderly. So I go home and keep the cage nice and clean and orderly. They are also more dependent on you. They make you feel needed.

Thay also won't shread your curtains or sleep on your newly folded clothes. They do wonders for my stress level when I come home and hold them and they lick my hands. Even my grumpy pig makes me happy. It's almost like she helps me get through my aggression by shreading things to bits for me.

I love them so much I just took a 1 hour trip in a car (and I get car sick easy too) to a farm in the middle of no where to find hay. Farmer wasn't home. 2 hour bus trip back (we got a ride one way)

They give you everything you ever wanted in a cat, but the cat would never commit to. (But I still love my cats. Even if they are aloof :p)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.