Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives DIY Ikea Bookshelf Turned Cage

Triple b

Cavy Slave
I recently stumbled on this picture of an IKEA bookshelf turned cage!

[GuineaPigCages.com] DIY Ikea Bookshelf Turned Cage
(broken link removed)

Has anyone ever seen/done something like this?

Yes. In scolling through the photos (link at top of page) several people have done this in varying ways for their pigs. It certainly addresses the problem of finding suitable materials. I'm a little concerned about airflow through the cage, though.

I agree that there'd be little airflow with the tiny vents on the side. It would be worse than an aquarium.

Good point! thanks for the input. I'm not a big fan on the prison-like bars. I just want them to be freeeee....like environment. :p

I think the cage you posted is okay for hamsters. That cage is too narrow for guinea pigs. I have seen an ikea bookshelf turned over so the back is on the floor, and the sides become the walls. That way, they are wide/large enough.

If you do not like the bars, look through this thread. You'll see lots of cages that are not made with bars.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/72423/

Last edited:
I think the cage you posted is okay for hamsters. That cage is too narrow for guinea pigs. I have seen an ikea bookshelf turned over so the back is on the floor, and the sides become the walls. That way, they are wide/large enough.

If you do not like the bars, look through this thread. You'll see lots of cages that are not made with bars.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/72423/

This is so helpful. Thank you lissie!

That looks like something I had made for my lizards (bearded dragons). I know there aren't a lot of reptile people on this forum but I love them.

I was thinking it looks more like a terrarium than a guinea pig cage and definitely not wide enouhg. It's attractive but not very pig friendly. I wonder what the big round tan thing is in the middle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.