Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Divided Cage?

pugsandpigs

Cavy Slave
I really want a second pig and had a hard time introducing my skinny to a bonded pair once before. I was coinsidering getting a second rescue pig, but am woried about them living together in the same cage.

Also to go through another introduction was extremly stressful for me and I'm not sure I could take that (anxiety wise).

I currently have a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft... which is a pain to clean under.. i would really just like a divided one level cage...

Would it be okay to have two males live together in divided cage?

I know my pig is lonley because when we walk in the room or the dogs are out he popcorns like crazy!

What would be the size requirement of the cage be 3x5...? and what are some concerns i should be aware of?

Also after a few months of them living together would it be possible to remove the grids clean the cage and have them live together? has any one ever tried this?

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I think as long as they have the minimum requirement of a 2x3 for each pig, it should be okay. One concern I would have about I divided cage would be them nipping through the bars, and climbing over and into the side into the other cage. I've only ever heard of these things though, not experienced so I will let others go further into this.

I can understand why you would be concerned, I think introducing pigs to each other is harder on the people then the pigs! lol But I think it would still be worth a try, maybe find a place that will let you bring in yours and let him choose his friend? I'm sure that the people there would know what normal and what not which could help keep the stress down. I would still try, but maybe just a single pig?

pugsandpigs

Cavy Slave
What exactly does it mean letting him "pick his own" like what would I be looking for? Like put him in a cage with it and see what exactly?

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I've never done it, but I think you would be looking for the least aggressive response to each other, or if your lucky, a happier friendly response. I'm not sure though, so hopefully someone who does can help with that or if you take him the people there know what to look for.

I think it would mean putting him on the floor, or in another area alone with the pig to see how they react to each other.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I had to put a divider up for my 2 guys due to them hitting the teenage years. I'm happy to say it only laste a few months and they are back together again. Here is pics of the divided cage and the one their in now. Roger would pull at the grid but never climbed it. View attachment 16011 View attachment 16012 View attachment 16013
Huey was happy and put on weight when we got Roger, so I think you should get your guy a buddy. Even when the divider was up the boys seemed happier then being a single piggie. They would visit each other by touching noses and then run and popcorn.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
For those of you that noticed the BAD salt lick in there, it's been thrown away. Also the log that is bad for them. I know a lot of people don't like the pigaloo or the one entrance house but the boys don't bother each other when they are in there sleeping.:cheerful:

knj240

Cavy Slave
I djust take a piece of coroplat and poke a hole in each corner, Zip tie each corner to the corners of the grids and wahlah! You don't have to worry about them nipping through the bars or any other problems. That's just what I would do. Or even cardboard would work depending on how big of chewers your guys are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.