Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Distance for quarantine

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
How far apart does a new pig have to be keep from existing pigs? I have a new pig in a separate cage in the same room. Would it be okay to put the two cages side by side
with either a piece of wood or coroplast between the two? They would not be able to see each other face to face. The problem I have now is my main cage is up on tables and the
small temporary cage for the new pig is on the floor. I have room to move the temporary cage off the floor and put up on the table right next to my main cage, but would it be safe to do if I put something between the two cages so there is no face to face contact?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They really need to be in separate rooms to prevent any airborne diseases from spreading. If you're going to put the cages next to each other, you might as well not do quarantine at all.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, thank you. I was thinking they just could not be in direct contact of each other, never crossed my mind about airborne diseases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.