Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Disease??

gui.pig.

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a guinea pig and it's been a week.. I'm using a cloth (towel) for her bedding... it doesn't stink that much but I'm afraid that I might inhale the pee or dirt of the guinea pigs..If I don't clean it daily and it's very tiring to do it... so.. I'm asking if I will catch any disease if I don't clean it daily?

Gui.pig, if you don't want to clean the cage daily, a guinea pig is probably not the pet for you. If you care for your guinea pigs properly, you will get poop and pee on you. And if you're tired after only a week, how are you going to feel after a year or several years of daily cage cleanings, veggie choppings, nail clippings, hair brushings, supplying hay?

Pets are work. They're adorable, but they deserve to be cared for properly and loved. If you're not ready to do that, then please rehome it to someone who will.

Cloth towels alone aren't the best bet for bedding because they will stay wet once they are peed on and guinea pigs will walk on, sit on and lay on the wet towels. This can cause skin irritation.

If you don't want to dive right into fleece (that would cover the towels), try a paper (Carefresh) or wood-based (Aspen or kiln-dried pine) bedding.

Ditto what BP mentioned, if it's only been a week and you're already tired of doing it, a guinea pig might not be the pet for you. They deserve to be cared for properly which involves daily cleaning, feeding and handling. If this isn't something you are willing or ready to do, please do the right thing and find someone who is.

Where is the male you bought being housed? Do you have a separate cage for him?

wait wait.. it's sad that some of your reactions are improper to the question I was asking. Anyway, regardless of what your pointing out..my inquiries have not yet been answered. Your reactions are hurtful and very much irrelevant. What I'm trying to point out is that I'm looking for a bedding which doesn't require much cleaning "DAILY" ..it's not that I'm tired of cleaning after them.. it's just the idea of cleaning it "DAILY". I thought, of all forums, I could ask here for some tips and advice but misinterpretation of what I said.. caused you to accuse that I don't like having them as a pet.

Thank you for the help anyways.

PS: I'm asking for some vets professional answer about my post above.

Gui.pig, no one is accusing you of not liking guinea pigs or loving them. The thing is, YOU as a human might not get a disease if you dont clean daily, but your pet might and probably will and that will cost you alot of money and tons more resent towards them as a helpless pet. Think about if you had your house, and you weren't smart enough/capable to go poop and pee in a "bathroom" and some big creature cleaned it everyday, your space ways always mostly clean, now imagine living in two days worth of poop. The reactions you will get on this forum from the moderators and others will always be in the best interest of the animal because there have been questions along the lines of yours, and upon hearing that you MUST clean the cage daily, people have then abandoned their pet. Please take no offense to how things are recieved, We care for you, your pet, and helping you have the best possible time with your pet because guinea pigs are a wonderful blessing for those of you who can have them. They will always love you and rely on you once they learn they can trust you.

If you do not want to scoop poops daily (and it really isn't such a chore, put on some music or watch tv and use a big spoon to scoop into a small pail) then consider CavyMama's suggestion of Carefresh or Aspen bedding. Towels are definitely out, unless you use fleece over them and then, yes, you need to scoop poops each day so the pigs are not getting them stuck on their fur or feet.

Guinea pigs do not eat meat, like dogs and cats, so their poop is really not bad smelling, unless they are sick. It should not be stinky or overly wet. I often pick up stray poops with my bare hands and then wash up after. Many of us have had a lot of contact with guinea pig poop and pee and never had any health issues. My own opinion is that one might be more apt to get sick from changing a human baby's diaper !

What I'm trying to point out is that I'm looking for a bedding which doesn't require much cleaning "DAILY" ..it's not that I'm tired of cleaning after them.. it's just the idea of cleaning it "DAILY".

Any bedding you get, whether it's fleece, wood-based or paper-based, is going to need daily cleaning bc guinea pigs will pee and poo regularly. Spot cleaning is simply going through and scooping (or sweeping/vacuuming if it's fleece) wet spots and poop. That's what's done daily. And each week, you do a full clean out, where you wipe down the cage and put all new bedding in. There's no way around it with guinea pigs, regardless of which bedding you use. I've used Carefresh, Aspen and now fleece.

I thought, of all forums, I could ask here for some tips and advice but misinterpretation of what I said.. caused you to accuse that I don't like having them as a pet.

No one said you didnt like them as a pet. You said you were tired of cleaning daily and what people said was that if you are tired of cleaning daily after only a week, this might not be the right pet for you. Not because you don't like them, but because they require daily cleaning which you said you are tired of.

Where is the male you bought being housed? Do you have a separate cage for him?

You can get by without daily scooping if you are using a disposable bedding like shavings. In fact, the rescue pigs don't get scooped out at all. We do a total cleaning once a week. I use wood pellets with a layer of shavings on top. If your cage is appropriately sized, you can get by without daily cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.