Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Digestive Drama

drazil3

Cavy Slave
Hi all, haven't posted question in a while, so here goes:
What am I missing???

I have two of the sweetest boars on the planet (Nibbles & Butterscotch) both a little over a year old. Butters has never been sick, but poor Nibbles has had three URIs, and a period of almost chronic diarrhea. Their diets consisted of the usual suspects: pellets, hay (Kentucky blue or timothy) , bell peppers, romaine, cilantro, celery, carrots red leaf, green leaf, dandelion. Finally figured out after careful deduction that it was the pellets I bought from KMS Hayloft. My vet said that while the pellets were obviously ok for Butters, that Nibbles has a sensitive system. Nice... I do give them the orange vita-drops, but now I see that technically they aren't supposed to have "yogurt" . Nibbles' droppings are now firmer, but still smaller than his brother's. But I still find this:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Digestive Drama

Any thoughts?

I seriously doubt that Butters' problem is the pellets. The usual thing to do with loose stools/diarrhea is to take them off all vegetables and feed only hay and pellets for 48-72 hours. If the stool doesn't firm up, then a treatment with something like flagyl is in order.

If it does firm up, then add veggies back one at a time, 48 hours between each one, and see if you can find the one that causes the problem.

I have no idea what that is in the picture. It could be sludge from where someone peed, or boar glue. It doesn't look particularly worrisome to me.

Yep, then I did it right. That's how we figured out the pellets. Stopped the veggies for a couple of days, then added them back. My daughters and I pulled their boys out to play last night and to do a "poop watch". Both pigs had normal pops except Nibs still has small ones compared to Butters. My daughter thinks that the stuff in the pic may very well be nudged wet poo that sat in urine and then got walked through. As for orange drops, they should still be ok, right? Never seemed to be an issue. Thanks!

Are you giving the liquid drops, or the orange treats? I'd avoid the treats because of the sugar, but the drops should be ok. I've given the multi-vitamin ones when I've had a sick pig, but I never give as much as the bottle recommends. Some of the vitamins are fat-soluble, and can accumulate in guinea pig tissues. I never gave them more often than once every 3-4 days.

If Nibbles (sorry, I confused them in my last post) hasn't had any flagyl, it might be worth while trying it. Guinea pigs usually tolerate it very well, and it can clear up a bunch of digestive tract problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.