Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Different types.

Katie..

Cavy Slave
I was looking to see how much Oxbow hay was from petsmart so I could get an idea of how much it would cost. I'm currently using Kaytee and I see some people dont like thier products.

I was wanting to know what brand do you use and what kind of hay.

The types of hay I saw online were Timothy, Orchard, Botanical, Timothy, and Oat hay.

Also what are your thaughts on the types of hay?

Thank you! :)

I think oat hay is considered piggie junk food that should only be fed sparingly. I'm not positive.

Timothy and orchard are the commonly used stuff here. Orchard grass is better for a lot of folks with allergies.

You should check out KMS hay. They are marvelous quality. Shipping it a bit high, but a lot of people end up saving with her stuff regardless after doing the math. (broken link removed)

Wow! I like how you can buy large quantities.
I will try Orchard grass since I am having the sneezes every time I hold my piggie or clean his cage.
Could I mix it with Timothy for my new baby piggie?

I believe babies need alfalfa, although I can't remember for how long...maybe the first six months? I'm sure someone will be along to clarify that.

That's what it was. lol. Thank you, couldn't remember which one it was.

Alfalfa is a supplement. Piggies of all ages need grass hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc). For babies, alfalfa can be given with timothy or other grass hay. If you feed alfalfa pellets, you do not need to supplement with alfalfa hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.