Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Different builds, same size?

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
Today I sized my room, since I will be getting back here sometimes and I discovered I don't have enough room for a plain 2x4 or 2x5 C&C cage (I DO have the space in my new house, but not in my parent's one).
This made me wonder... If I do a 2x3 for example, and add one or two extra levels, would that be good for two piggies? That way even if the floor space is smaller, they have so-so the same space and I can fit it there.

Is that right? Or do they need more floor space for two piggies?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Today I sized my room, since I will be getting back here sometimes and I discovered I don't have enough room for a plain 2x4 or 2x5 C&C cage (I DO have the space in my new house, but not in my parent's one).
This made me wonder... If I do a 2x3 for example, and add one or two extra levels, would that be good for two piggies? That way even if the floor space is smaller, they have so-so the same space and I can fit it there.

Is that right? Or do they need more floor space for two piggies?

I would say for fremale piggies it may be, but for male piggies probably not. Do you have enough grids to build a 2 2x 3 on top of one another? I had the same issue when i first got my pigs and jkust kept them separated until I had enough room to build a larger one and put them together. if your piggies get aong really well though I dont really see it being an issue if it is just temporary.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If you get a pair of pigs that already get along they should do just fine in a 2x3 C&C. I would suggest not over crowding the cage and make sure you only have 2 entrance hides placed in the cage that allow them to flow through and run.

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
I will explain better so you can get an idea :)

I'm moving to a bigger home, there I have enough space for two piggies, and I will be adopting either another male or a neutered female. They will be living in a 2x4 or 2x5 C&C.
I will be staying there most of the time, but I will probably go back to see my family once a month or so, and that's why I need another cage, since my current piggie lives in a cage that's not big enough for two.

I'm not sure if I have enough grids but I can buy more, that's not a problem at all right now :D
So ... I guess if they end up getting along very well they will be good in a 2x3 with an small upper floor?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I will explain better so you can get an idea :)

I'm moving to a bigger home, there I have enough space for two piggies, and I will be adopting either another male or a neutered female. They will be living in a 2x4 or 2x5 C&C.
I will be staying there most of the time, but I will probably go back to see my family once a month or so, and that's why I need another cage, since my current piggie lives in a cage that's not big enough for two.

I'm not sure if I have enough grids but I can buy more, that's not a problem at all right now :D
So ... I guess if they end up getting along very well they will be good in a 2x3 with an small upper floor?

How long until you are ina bigger house? If its not that long, I would just hold off until you can make a bigger cage. The bigger the cage the happier the piggies :)

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Sadly, extra levels do not count as floor space. Ex. I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft; their cage space is only 2x4, not 2x6, because my loft is a separate level and therefore doesn't count as floor space.

If they're okay right now, I agree with waiting until you move to expand there cage. But when you do so, definitely make sure to just expand the single level.

You can still add in a loft, of course - I think lofts make great kitchen areas - but remember that it won't make their overall cage size any bigger.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
If you decide to go with another boy especially, 2x3 may just be too small, even if just for a couple of days visiting. Any chance you can go 3x3?

For at your own home, bigger is better, if you can fit the 2x5 I say go for that, your piggies will appreciate it.

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
I ended up building up a 2x4 in my new flat.

Also, for my parent's house, I'm doing a 2x3 + the small cage I have.

I hope that enough for both cavies?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I ended up building up a 2x4 in my new flat.

Also, for my parent's house, I'm doing a 2x3 + the small cage I have.

I hope that enough for both cavies?

Is the 2x3 and smaller cage attached? I wouldn't do anything less than a 2x4 for two, male or female. I had a single in a 2x3 and found it was a tight squeeze for her. I upgraded to a 2x4 and finally moved her into a 2x5 when my senior pair passed away. There is a huge difference how active she is in the 2x5 compared with the 2x3 and even the 2x4.

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
Is the 2x3 and smaller cage attached? I wouldn't do anything less than a 2x4 for two, male or female. I had a single in a 2x3 and found it was a tight squeeze for her. I upgraded to a 2x4 and finally moved her into a 2x5 when my senior pair passed away. There is a huge difference how active she is in the 2x5 compared with the 2x3 and even the 2x4.
Yes, the cage is attached. It's not really big, but it's just for their use between 2 and 7 days, not more.

By now, they will be living in the 2x4 cage until I move again in 2-3 years (or when visiting my parents), then an even bigger cage will be coming, I really plan on getting more than 2 piggies someday!

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Sadly, extra levels do not count as floor space. Ex. I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft; their cage space is only 2x4, not 2x6, because my loft is a separate level and therefore doesn't count as floor space.

- hi there!
why do the extra floors NOT count as floor space? The run there too and move, don't they?

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for these sad news:) what should I do then? And if I make an entire extra floor as opposed to a patio?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Is it possible for you to have a U or L shaped cage to save room? The shape doesn't need to be perfect, an extra square foot could be the deciding factor

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Not really. And now I am concerned about the boys d/stairs as well. They do get floor time mad love it so I am in good books here. Still...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.