Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Diet for Impaction

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
My 5 year old senior Mickey just recently started experiencing impaction. I know it's one of those things that sometimes comes along with age in older males.

He is one of my more scaredy cat pigs who runs when I approach the cage but tonight, he didn't run. He just sat facing the corner of the hay bin. He even let me pet him, which he never does so I had a feeling something was up. I picked him up and immediately saw he was impacted.

I had experience with clearing impaction with one of my other seniors years back so it was no big deal with clear him out. He seemed to feel much better afterward.

I know, when it's a senior rather than a diet issue, it's likely going to be a chronic condition and it has more to do with weak muscle tone than digestion but I wonder if anyone has any ideas about certain foods that will maybe ease the condition for him a little.

I am interested as well the first 2 piggies I rescued the people couldnt remember how old they were and about a month ago one of them started getting impacted. My hubby does the cleaning as I am a little OCD with the smelly. So anything that would help I am glad to learn about

How do you know if he's impacted? I just need to know what signs to watch for since I have a boar.

I'm not sure diet will do anything for impaction in an older boar. I mean, how can you eat a diet higher in fiber than a guinea pig does?

Exercise seems to help, if you can get him out of the cage and run him around a little. Of course, if I ever had to do that to mine (and I won't -- they're females), I'd have to poke them with a sharp stick. Floor time is an epic fail at my house.

Here's some info on impaction: https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html.

How do you know if he's impacted? I just need to know what signs to watch for since I have a boar.

If you pick him up and notice that his perineal (sp?) or anal sac is large and full. It will look a bit like the shape of a full water balloon. Also, if it's firm or feels full, that's a pretty good indication as well.

Also, when you clean it out, the poos will be in a large clump rather than individual poos. It's how impaction starts. When a male, either due to age or diet, cannot push indivual poos out, they accumulate in the sac and eventually form a clump that is too large to expel on his own.

It makes the boar very uncomfortable which is probably why Mickey was sitting just facing the wall and then was back to himself after he was cleared out.

BP, do you suppose having him neutered would help? Or do you think that would be more of a risk due to his age?

I wouldn't risk neutering him for that unless his problems get really severe -- I'd try the sharp stick first. (Kidding, of course.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.