Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Did it for the First Time!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I think it was a success.

I saw that Lil' Babe's nails were too long, and she was using her heel a bit to walk so I decided that enough was enough and I took her out of her cage in a shoe box and clipped her nails.

I got her out of her cage in the box, and took her into the living room where I set up the Piggie Play Pen just in case I needed to get some styptic powder. I got her out of the box and she was SQUIRMY! She calmed down a bit. I did my best to hold her, and held her vertically with her back against me. She nipped at me a bit, but I had her held to prevent that.

I know you are supposed to trim the tips only, which I did....... Somehow I feel like they are still too long? They aren't curling and she is walking better. I guess I am just not used to it after clipping a dog's nails for 4+ years haha.

Was I holding her right? Did I do it right? Any other tips?

Yay! Good for you! It takes courage the first time, and my girls scream like I'm cutting their toes off, not the nails. It sounds like you did just fine. If you want to go back, and trim the tips off again in a week, the inside part, the quick, will start to recede, and you can slowly work the nails back down to a good length. And remember, if you do cut too short, they will not bleed to death. It's just messy, but you said you have styptic powder, so all is good. When someone just starts trimming nails, it's best to just nip a little off the ends. You'll get a feel for it. :)

Sounds like you did great and are braver than me. I am taking my girls in tomorrow to a groomer to have it done...they don't charge and I'm not comfortable doing it. I just adopted them and their nails are so long and curled-I just assume have them do it the first time.
I guess you are only supposed to cut the tips and once you keep doing that, the quick gets shorter. I'll see what they do tomorrow and follow their lead.
Good job tho,-:)

Awesome! Pretty soon it will just be a minor thing on your piggie schedule. :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.