Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other degu

degulover503

Cavy Slave
hi im a newbie but if any body has adegu cage or any degus, or supplies you want to sell please pm me thanks

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
degulover503 said:
hi im a newbie but if any body has adegu cage or any degus, or supplies you want to sell please pm me thanks
Do you have degus now? Where are you located?

degulover503

Cavy Slave
no i dont have any degus right now but im preparing for them im located in canada thanks

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
degulover503 said:
no i dont have any degus right now but im preparing for them im located in canada thanks
Degus are very, very high maintenance animals. They require a highly specialized diet (including fresh, low-calcium produce every day), attention, medical care, and etc. I don't recommend them to most people. Thie health is very fragile and most degus do become seriously ill at some point in their lives. They have a lot of NEEDS. They aren't like a hamster or a rat. They are much more high maintenance than that.

So, I recommend that you go for something like a rat, first.

- priscilla

degulover503

Cavy Slave
degus

thanks but im prepared for there care and all there need such as love food water and vet care i will provide them with all they need for there life

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Degus are a lot like guinea pigs, it seems. They aren't really low-maintenance either. You could try keeping a cavy, too, if you can't find a degu. Good luck though! =) Oh, and there is a picture of a degu cage up in the OTHER ANIMALS section of the photo gallery, if you want to take a look...

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
degulover503 said:
thanks but im prepared for there care and all there need such as love food water and vet care i will provide them with all they need for there life
Ok, I have a question for you: why do you want degus?

degulover503

Cavy Slave
degus

reptilegrrl said:
Ok, I have a question for you: why do you want degus?
yes i have had guinea pig before she died at the age of 5 , after that i had to sell my favorite pet jaime shes a ferret i loved her but she didnt get along with my dads dog and she was messy and we had 2 ferrets jaime didnt get along with the male and that was my little bros ferret and he was so attatched to it so he wouldnt let it go so i had to sell mine it was sad i want a dego because the are higher matnece and they are fun loving pets my friend had a degu that she rescued and it had white teeth not orange or yellow she took it to the vet and it got put down degus and fun an rewarding pets i have never had one me and friend have a degu and gerbil rescues but dtill preparing so maybe you can help us on some advice thanks

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
I'll be honest with you: I am troubled by your desire for a high-maintenance pet, when you are either unable or unwilling to follow the simple instructions for using this forum. They are above the text window every time you make a post, but you ignore them.

Being observant and following complicated instructions (such as diets) are very important when one has a degu.

I'm not trying to insult you, I am just describing the situation as I see it.

I'm concerned because I have rescued numerous degus (and other animals) who were not well-treated. Their owners meant well, and in their own ways, they had some feelings for their pets, but they were unable or unwilling to do what it took to keep those animals happy and healthy.

degulover503

Cavy Slave
Degu

I know how to take care of my pets i no they cant eat barley any sugar.I think i can handle a degu

degulover503

Cavy Slave
Degus

Oh and you must think i take animals in the shelter to but i DONT

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
degulover503 said:
I know how to take care of my pets i no they cant eat barley any sugar.I think i can handle a degu
Well, for one thing, their dietary needs are much more complex thatn simply not having sugar. It's not just "they can't have sugar"; it's that they shouldn't have any sweet things at all, including fruit.

Then we have produce- degus need fresh produce every day. Things like lettuce, raw corn on the cob, green beans, snow peas, broccoli, celery. These can't be high-calcium greens like spinach, collards, dandelions, etc.

Then we have your bit about "a degu." Degus are extremely social animals, and should not be alone. A degu alone usually becomes depressed and ill. If you are looking only for "a degu", then you are already giong about it all wrong.

And as I pointed out, you're either unwilling or unable to follow the simple instructions for using this forum. Degus are, by far, more complicated.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Perhaps you should do some extensive research, or else you should consider another pet. Even though you mean well, that doesn't always mean that pet is the best match for you. Just a suggestion. =)

degulover503

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Perhaps you should do some extensive research, or else you should consider another pet. Even though you mean well, that doesn't always mean that pet is the best match for you. Just a suggestion. =)

Yes have done lots and lots of research and bought books and books and checked out library books

degulover503

Cavy Slave
Degu

HI i have picked out a sister pair at a pet shop

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yay! Good luck with them! =)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Wow, I had no idea degus were so much work... A friend of mine wants to get one, I will definantly tell my friend how much work they are their special needs.

They sound a bit like sugar gliders. I was planning on getting a sugar glider once. I read a whole bunch of stuff about them but realized they weren't the pet for me. Too many special needs...

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
this may sound childish to some, but what exactly is a degu?

Somebody, enlighten me! lol

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:

They look sort of like a gerbil. They are a rodent.

reptilegrrl

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:

Not childish at all!

Degus are caviomorphs, like guinea pigs and chinchillas. (These animals have traditionally been classified as rodents but many biologists are challenigng that classification, prefering "caviomorph.") They originate in Chile, in South America.

They do look sort of like gerbils at first sight, but on second look they look nothing like gerbils. They are just completely different! They do somewhat resemble their closest relatives, chinchillas.

They are wonderful pets- very animated, intelligent, very verbal, and also very social, both with each other and with other animals.

You can see lots of pictures of degus, & learn more about them, at http://degus.org .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.