Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Death

critterlover

Cavy Slave
the only surefire way to know that an animal didn't die from sickness is to have a necropsy done
Ok. Dumb question, but is necropsy the same as autopsy? Personally, I'd rather not have my deceased pet opened up, but that's just me.

I just threw mine in the garbage when she died.
Hint: next time, label the box. ;) It's funny how the most important things end up in the garbage. Like when we moved, someone threw away $500 worth of unclaimed insurance receipts. Whoops!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Yep, a necropsy is the same as an autopsy. And I wouldn't want my pig opened up either, but if you're going to throw it in a river, I highly suggest it.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Why waste money for autopsy just to throw it in the river. thats sick. I would just burry it or cremate it. But I would get an autopsy done if it was something serious and for your future reference.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I personally think that disposing of your beloved pet in a river is sick, but the only safe way to do it is to have a necropsy done!

GuineaPigsRock

Cavy Slave
My pigs died on the 13 (unlucky) and we buired her in the backyard in my favorite place. under a honeysuckle bush. It was hard to say goodbye, but u will get over it.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Sorry Ruby, I was responding to a post at the end of page one of this thread and did not use the "quote" button properly and it was missed.
RubyPiggie2 said:
I don't understand that post, Denise.

I agree with you Doc, it could easily cause the death of another animal if no necropsy was done.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
GuineaPigsRock said:
My pigs died on the 13 (unlucky) and we buired her in the backyard in my favorite place. under a honeysuckle bush. It was hard to say goodbye, but u will get over it.
My boy*though yours was a girl* died on the 13th too, two weeks before my birthday. We buried him on a hill and a few weeks later, his grave was covered in clovers- his favorite. Then my girl Gizmo, we buried her and then placed an apple tree branch on her grave- apple and all. She loved the branches and apples, so we cut one off in memory of her.
I guess I'm still undecided on wether or not to cremate or bury, but what I've been doing so far is burying. We have 30+ animals in our backyard. Scary, but it's nice to know they're there. Sam is going to be buried back there too.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
Sorry Ruby, I was responding to a post at the end of page one of this thread and did not use the "quote" button properly and it was missed.
OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
When Gunther died i had a hard time deciding what to do...

I ended up bringing him home from the animal hospital and my mom helped me Bury him in the backyard. The neighbors daughter brought roses.

I can see where shes buried from my bedroom window so i guess shes still with me every day in a way...

._. ack. Started crying again.

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
My son's hamster just passed on this last Saturday (and not too well, so we're not really talking about it - one of our cats got her when he got out of his cage).

We've buried our pets in the yards of where we live. We were talking about how many little hamsters lie in the back yard of where we lived before. And now a new one in the new house.

It's inevitable that you'll outlive the small ones, since hamsters only live a couple of years, and GPs only a few more than that. We have a nice little secluded alcove surrounded by palms and bamboo, and ironically enough the other day I decided that when the furkids time has come, I will be burying them there. So, now we have Buddy in there, and will be making a stepping stone to mark his place.

My son (12) is still not quite right, but he's taking it pretty manfully - the blame as well, since he was the one who didn't secure the cage properly. He's even forgiven the cat, so I'm very proud of him.

I would prefer to be buried myself and go to feed new life. Not much of an option as a human, since they pump you up with chemicals and stick you in a non-decomposable vault and box. I won't need any of these particular carbon atoms when I die, so I would prefer they be useful somewhere else. I've told my husband that I'd prefer to feed to a starving wildcat with kits in winter, but I couldnt' talk him into it. ;)

Fawn

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Awww Im sorry about your lost Sets. But I'm sure that she is happy and watching over you at the rainbow bridge.