Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Death

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
well im trying to be positive lol.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I dont think that there is anything wrong with having ashes of your pets at all. I would have done that to my dog isaac and my baby piggie but I didnt have enough cash to do it. But they both are buried in a garden. I wonder how much is it to creamate your pets.

Access

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Tossing pets into a river or stream isn't only irreverent, it is also polluting the water (in a more practical sense). Please rethink your words. Thank you.
I won't defend his post, but it's not necessarily irreverent, isn't that what the Vikings did when a great warrior died? They would take the body and place it on a specially built ship, send him off into the ocean (lighting the ship before? I can't remember). Not quite the same as tossing the body into a stream, I guess.

No matter what, you could end up polluting: even cremation, since it involves fire, pollutes.

When I was a kid and the family lost our hamster, we buried him in the backyard in a box... I think this is what many families do.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Lampy doesn't even have any pigs yet. (See his profile.)

So he probably doesn't understand how attached people can get to their animals. Hence the insensitive remarks.

Piggster

Cavy Slave
I have the ashes of my very first piggy, and my two heart pigs Dylan and Emily in wooden boxes next to my PC. It is comforting for me to have them close still...in a way. They spent many a happy hour on my lap while I was online, usually surfing guinea information and chat.

lampy

Cavy Slave
Nope, they are not cremated when they go into the stream, i never considered the possibility of poluting the water, and i know that other things will eat the body.... that is the idea, then i believe the piggies spirit can be released...

I take back anything that i said that hurt anyone's feelings... i didn't want to upset anyone, however i do believe everyone is entitles to thier own opinion, mine is as above!

lampy

Cavy Slave
critterlover said:
Lampy doesn't even have any pigs yet. (See his profile.)

So he probably doesn't understand how attached people can get to their animals. Hence the insensitive remarks.
Pigs... no... cats, yes, hamsters, yes so i do know...

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Well, maybe I should explain exactly why I choose cremation for my pets. Death frightens me, I'm not afraid to admit that. But, what frightens me more is the thought of laying under ground...etc...etc...I wont get into detail-because I dont want to gross anyone out. I believe that my pets are like people, I'm never having children so they're my kids. I just couldnt bare putting them through something that I wouldn't want to go through myself. Now this is obviously my decision, and I dont think it's for everyone. However, I would like to point it that it might be against the law to throw a dead animal in the river...I know it's illegal to put them in the trash (I shudder to think anyone would do that!).

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I hate when pets die, but it's a part of life. Chirpy, my bird died a few days ago, my mom took him out of the cage(I couldn't because I was crying so bad), and she put him in a box wrapped up in paper towels, and he is in the freezer, becaue we are going to bury him in the spring.

Teria

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss, Emily. :( But before anyone freaks out over the idea of keeping a dead pet in the freezer until it can be properly buried: I did the same with my rat Jackie.

I have buried several gerbils and three rats in different places, so basically my city is within a circle of little pet graves... creepy thought. *G* However, please think of using boxes that can decompose when stuck in the earth - like cardbox or wood. Plastic won't rot in a million years or so, and that is pollution, too.

I don't even want to think about having to bury my piggies one day. Not now. I have seen too many dead pets (which is the reason why it took me three years to find the courage to go through all that again). And I still cry when I read one of your pets has passed away - crazy enough cause I didn't even know them. I've even stopped reading all those RBB posts cause I just can't stand it right now.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
i know that other things will eat the body.... that is the idea, then i believe the piggies spirit can be released...
Unless you had a full necropsy done on the animal, it still wouldn't be safe because the animal could still very well have disease in it's body.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
But before anyone freaks out over the idea of keeping a dead pet in the freezer until it can be properly buried: I did the same with my rat Jackie
I sympathize. We had to do that with 1 of our cats. He was 17. Oil filter box right next to the ice cream. It was horrible, but the ground was frozen, so we really had no choice. We didn't even know about cremation at the time, thinking back, that would have been a better option.

And I still cry when I read one of your pets has passed away - crazy enough cause I didn't even know them.
I know what you mean. My cat died when she was 19. We were newborns together. It's like a part of you is missing when a pet passes on. And life will never be the same. :(

lampy

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
Unless you had a full necropsy done on the animal, it still wouldn't be safe because the animal could still very well have disease in it's body.
Doc... what is it with you and necropsy?

Denise

Cavy Slave
Didn't sound like it to me either!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Doc... what is it with you and necropsy?
Umm, excuse me? Did you have to make it sound do rude? If a coyote picked up a dead animal that had been infected with a sickness it may also get sick too, which means that you, no one else, caused the animal to die. I believe that the only surefire way to know that an animal didn't die from sickness is to have a necropsy done, and unless you would like to contribute to the death of a wild animal, I believe you should do one if you toss the body so carelessly into a stream.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
Didn't sound like it to me either!
I don't understand that post, Denise.

I agree with you Doc, it could easily cause the death of another animal if no necropsy was done.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
sofiemuffins said:
Well, maybe I should explain exactly why I choose cremation for my pets. Death frightens me, I'm not afraid to admit that. But, what frightens me more is the thought of laying under ground...etc...etc...I wont get into detail-because I dont want to gross anyone out. I believe that my pets are like people, I'm never having children so they're my kids. I just couldnt bare putting them through something that I wouldn't want to go through myself. Now this is obviously my decision, and I dont think it's for everyone. However, I would like to point it that it might be against the law to throw a dead animal in the river...I know it's illegal to put them in the trash (I shudder to think anyone would do that!).
When my first piggie, Puzzle, had to be put to sleep I was given the option of a communal cremation or individual cremation. Even thought it was costly I opted for individual cremation and now have him in my living room next to his picture and across from Cujo's cage. I just couldn't part with him - my heart was so broken - so now I feel like he is with me forever.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
When Arnie was helped to pass away by our vet last Winter I brought him home and buried him deep down in the flower bed. As we had known for a little while his time was coming, we had a perennial plant ready - a white Christmas Rose as it was late in the year. This was placed above his grave as a marker, rather than the more traditional tombstone/cross. Arnie has been gone a whole year now, and it does give me some sense of peace to know that he is nuturing this beautiful plant which shines out all winter long.

(On a purely practical note, we did a similar thing with our last cat, but as it was January and the ground was completely frozen, we had his remains cremated first so that the hole we had to dig was significantly smaller. It was that or keep him in the freezer till Spring, and I don't think any of us could have done that.)

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Access said:
I won't defend his post, but it's not necessarily irreverent, isn't that what the Vikings did when a great warrior died? They would take the body and place it on a specially built ship, send him off into the ocean (lighting the ship before? I can't remember). Not quite the same as tossing the body into a stream, I guess.

Wierd you mention this - a friend of mine recently lost an enormous, but very beloved, rooster to old age. Burial or Sunday lunch were not options, but as they have a private stream on their land they built a model Viking long-boat and "fired" his ship around him. We all stood around and watched as the ship drifted off into the sunset, with the unmistakable aroma of roast chicken wafting back to shore... I guess from a Health and Safety point of view, any microbes on the rooster were definitely cooked, but I never saw how close the ship was to being completely destroyed - maybe there would have been salmonella issues if the cold meat wasn't eaten quickly by scavengers - if there was any left!

jhoban

Cavy Slave
I just threw mine in the garbage when she died.

No, I am not as mean as I sound. I place her in a box to bury the following day. Later I asked the wife to grab the garbage while she was in the basement. I took the garbage out and went to work. When I got home, the box was gone. You can imagine how upset my wife was that she had thrown away a dead guinea pig.