Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Death of guinea pig companion

10nani39

Cavy Gazer
Last night we noticed our male guinea pig wasn't doing very good, he had diarrhea and was lethargic. This morning I found him dead. It was a real heart breaker, still is. I'm worried about the female. What's a good length of time to see about a new companion.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Was she housed with him? If so she could have it if it is contagious. She could also be pregnant if neither of them was de-sexed.

When you get a new companion for her from you may have to quarantine them. http://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html
I strongly suggest looking at rescues in your area for a new companion after you are sure she is healthy.

10nani39

Cavy Gazer
They shared a three story 2x4 cage. We took him out last night to monitor him. Then this morning I woke up early realizing I hadn't heard from him and checked up on him and he was dead. He was a fixed male. I've already cleaned the cage thoroughly, threw out the blankets, bedding, food, wood they chewed and replaced it all with new stuff. We've had them six months. He was always sneezing since the day we brought him home and didn't gain any weight. She doubled in size while he stayed about the same size. I just want to make sure she's alright.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he may have been sick from the very beginning. I suggest monitoring her weight and keeping a close eye on her, if it was contagious it will become apparent in the next few weeks. If she shows any symptoms of illness then you will need to take her into a good exotic vet (cat-dog vets aren't trained to treat guinea pigs).

10nani39

Cavy Gazer
In all hindsight we realized he was. When I got them I was told they where the same sex. After realizing they where way too playful towards each, we had them sexed. She had gained weight soo much faster than him, we thought she was pregnant. Even so we had him fixed and she turned out not to be pregnant. He was such a funny character and has been with her since I first brought her home.
I'm sad about losing him but I want make sure she's not lonely.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss. I suggest adopting a female companion for her. You will need to do a 3 week quarantine period anyway and if either piggie is ill it should become apparent during those 3 weeks.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
sorry for your loss
rest in peace little one....

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. Once you're certain your female isn't ill, you might want to consider contacting your local rescue to see if they have a suitable companion for her. Some rescues will allow you to bring your guinea pig to select the friend she chooses. It's a great way to find a compatible companion. Good luck.