Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dead bug in hay!

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Fay

Cavy Slave
What's the brand of hay you use?

weta!

Cavy Slave
I can't imagine a piggie would even notice a dead insect when there's fresh hay to be eaten! Although they're not part of a guinea's natural diet, I'm sure it won't hurt if your piggie takes an exploratory nibble on one (like they do on my fingers!).

Lots of different insects live in grass, so the odd one would be picked up when the hay is being harvested.

Wheekie

Fay

Cavy Slave
Well, Sounds like a good choice, Just to be sure I would check the hay from now on to prevent any bugs to get passed on to the pigs, however I doubt they would actually eat it. But you'd rather be safe then sorry right?

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Not a big deal, it's when you find a live meal worm crawlin around the cage like me... woo heart attack.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
I once found a dead stink bug in my hay. I almost peed my pants. i was so scared.! I use Oxbow timithy hay.

exsNohs

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh. You guys are scarring me. lol I don't wanna find worms and bugs around the house or near the cages!! :eye-poppi I'm sucha baby.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Don't know how you'd end up with a live mealworm. They don't eat hay. Grasshoppers are pretty common though. They will set up huge populations in a hay field and usually more than a few get baled every year. At least your buying small enough amounts of hay you don't find parts of snakes, skunks, rabbits... etc.. We've spent the past week on a horse forum trying to identify this mystery skull someone found in their hay. Grasshoppers are pretty tame in comparison. lol It's very unlikely the pigs will even touch them and if they did taste it alittle it wouldn't harm them. Remove it when you see it but no reason to panic. I worry more about potentially poisonous weeds or thistles than bugs.

Wheekie

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
oh yeah? Well, one time at Wendy's I made a huge luscious salad only to look down and see a HUGE praying mantis staring back at me!! It made it through all the lettuce chopping and everything! (I was also the store manager luckily)

Speaking of hay.. I prefer Oxbow and KMS hay personally. I like to have lots and lots of hay around and the KMS is so beeeaauuutiful and fresh and Cheappp that I love to have it around.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
I also prefer Kleenmamas and Oxbow. Never found a bug in one of those... then again, I don't really check... :yuck:

Wheekie

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
KM's hay is only available online. You can find Kleenmama's hay and pellets at (broken link removed).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.