Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Dark spot that oozes brown pus

jmckeeslp

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I have an elderly male cavy who seems to ooze sticky brown stuff from a spot on his butt where a tail would go (if he had one). I have bathed him (once a month for several months) and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (once). My cavy had no reaction from either service, in fact he was emitting sounds of comfort as I was doing this. I am concerned because it has been there for quite a while. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I am wondering if this is normal or if I should go see my cavvy savvy vet. Please advise!:sorry:

Hi all, I have an elderly male cavy who seems to ooze sticky brown stuff from a spot on his butt where a tail would go (if he had one). I have bathed him (once a month for several months) and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (once). My cavy had no reaction from either service, in fact he was emitting sounds of comfort as I was doing this. I am concerned because it has been there for quite a while. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I am wondering if this is normal or if I should go see my cavvy savvy vet. Please advise!:sorry:

Sounds like impaction to me, but I'm sure someone else here who is more qualified will be able to tell you for sure.
Good luck!

That sounds like his grease gland gland. Scroll down and take a look at www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html

Grease glands are completely normal in guinea pigs. They need to be cleaned regularly or will get very dirty. It sounds like your guinea pig's grease gland is infected, if it is you might need to seek veterinary attention for him.

*sigh* I was afraid of that...even if he doesn't have pain related to it?

I just took a look at the link you provided and my cavy's spot looks exactly like those healthy ones in the photos. I will clean it with the suggestions provided. Thank you SO SO much!

Sounds to me like his grease gland, but please don't clean it with alcohol -- that's way too drying. Some people use a drop of Dawn dish detergent on it to lather it up and then rinse it well. Dawn does a good job of cutting through grease, but isn't drying to the guinea pig's skin.

Sounds to me like his grease gland, but please don't clean it with alcohol -- that's way too drying. Some people use a drop of Dawn dish detergent on it to lather it up and then rinse it well. Dawn does a good job of cutting through grease, but isn't drying to the guinea pig's skin.

Thanks! I saw that in the link previously posted and went out to buy some :) I used the rubbing alcohol to get a better view of the area where the puss was coming out. I hesitated using it but other methods haven't worked....but now I know better. I appreciate your concerns for my precious cavy as I love him sooooo much! ❤️

Does this gland need to be cleaned in all Piggies, and if so how often?

Depends on the pig, @Zuidy. Mine are nearly three years old and have never had to have their grease glands cleaned. They're females, though, and they don't usually need to have their glands cleaned as often as males do.

Depends on the pig, @Zuidy . Mine are nearly three years old and have never had to have their grease glands cleaned. They're females, though, and they don't usually need to have their glands cleaned as often as males do.

Thanks. Mine are females too, so I figured something like that.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.