Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dandelion

Oh, I always thought that tv may exaggerate things. Hmm... well then, Im glad to live over here!

Hey Dandelion,

Just to give you an American perspective, I work with a lot of people from a lot of different countries and after dealing with them I can understand how you can think Americans are arrogant. In reality it's not the case in general, however we do tend to be more direct in our dealings with other people and jump right to the point with little niceties in between. This can be very off putting to people of different cultures but in no way whatsoever are we being intentionally arrogant.

Simililarly sometimes we can't figure out what all the pussy footing is about and wish other cultures would just get to the point (we are apparently an impatient lot as well). It's all just a matter of different cultures clashing.
Add that to the fact that email (or discussion forums) do not convey tone of voice or body language and the written word alone is often far harsher than we mean to convey. It would be helpful if everyone as a general rule tried to write a little more gently but also to read with a little less sensitivity to allow for some leeway in interpreting the messages.

(BTW, even as an American, I've been a little shocked at some of the conversations that have been held here lately, even if held in the heat of the kitchen).

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Weezer, are you a guy or a girl?

(psst--ignore it). =)

Ok, just wondering

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.