Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Dad thinks piggies stink

The post on CavySpirit about wood pellets is out of date. Teresa and I have talked about it, and that page is going to be rewritten.

There's nothing hard to manage about wood pellets except the weight of the pellets -- they come in 40 pound bags.

To clean out my cage, I roll a medium-sized garbage can in by the cage, put a garbage in it, and scoop the pellets out using a dustpan. I tie up the bag, and roll the can out for the garbage men to pick up.

To refill the cage, I have to carry a bag of the pellets in from the garage and dump it in the cage. I don't have any problem doing that, but if you can't lift 40 pounds, you can always fill smaller containers and bring the pellets in.

That's all there is to managing pellets.

So cleaning-wise (besides weight and smell difference) are they the same as wood chips and carefresh? Meaning you do the same thing to clean out the cage? Also do you just have wood chips by themselves? And can u put newspaper underneath and roll it up to clean out the cage?

I wouldn't roll up the pellets. They just weigh too darn much and don't cling together like pine shavings. Just go to the dollar store and get a little dust pan and hand brush and sweep them up and into the trash. It shouldn't take too long, even with a C&C cage. You could lay news paper down and roll up pine shavings, that's the way I did it when I was a kid, and it worked well enough. You can use pine shavings by its self.

Ok so million dollar question: fleece or wood pellets Which smells less? Which is easier to clean and less time consuming? Which looks better? I know fleece is cuter but do you see the poos more with fleece or do wood pellets kinda hide them? But do wood pellets not look very good? You just use wood pellets by themselves...right? Any other ways to defend your choice are helpful please help...hehe

My piggies don't smell!

Only if I have gone exceptionally long time without cleaning the cage ( I can last about a week). I sweep poos daily. Also if they have a good time peeing on thier hay, but remove the hay and it stops.

I use fleece as well. After a few times of drying in the machine I hang them up to dry. Outside is best, but since it's 30 degrees here, I think they will just freeze ha! :) I use vinegar or baking soda in the washer to control odor, but every now and then I just have to throw in some bleach (I kinda like clean haha) and if I do that, I wash twice to make sure there is nothing lingering. First load bleach, second load just plain detergent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.