Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Dad thinks piggies stink

Line drying is the old fashion way outside in the sun with a rope and close pins. I use All Free and Clear detergent but any "free and clear" should work. Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the wash with the detergent to help control odors.

My guinea pigs hardly smell at all. I have noticed though when I use wood chips they smell less than when I use fleece, I also don't have to do daily spot cleaning with wood chips, the wood chips in my 2x5 cage with two boars last probably a week and a half if I scoop up the wet litter ever few days. The down fall with wood chips is the stupid chips get everywhere!! I feel like I am constantly vacuuming when I use wood chips.

If you have a busy scheduled with school, sports, finals, work etc. it might be more effective to use wood chips or wood pellets to keep things under control. I typically switch over to wood from fleece when I have a lot going on in a week or if we go out of town so it is easier on the pet sitter. Over Chirstmas as much as I want to show off to my family with the cute fleece the piggies will probably be on wood pellets! :cheerful:

Where do you get wood chips? Or is that the same thing as aspen?

Pet store or farm store. Kiln Dry Pine or Aspen chips.

My girlfriend says I am like a tumbleweed when I walk through the house because of the wood chips that fall off my clothes, leaving a trail behind me.

My girlfriend says I am like a tumbleweed when I walk through the house because of the wood chips that fall off my clothes, leaving a trail behind me.

Okaaay now I think I'll go back to fleece...haha I'm sooo confused fleece or aspen? fleece or aspen? fleece or aspen?

The wood pellets do not cling to anything and aren't kicked out of the cage either, they also last longer than the fleece and keep the odor down better as well.

Ahh!! More options!! Where do you get those?? It looks like those are really hard to manage though...according to the bedding page on the GPC home page... what about fleece ON TOP of aspen shavings?

I have no experience with fleece, but I just thought Id chime in here and let you know that I use carefresh and aspen bedding, and my piggy doesnt smell. At all.
My husband HATES any kind of animal smell, and he doesnt mind the piggy being in the kitchen, because he doesnt smell like anything, even from up close.
And I know what you mean about hamsters stinking up quick, my son used to have one, and it stunk up his room, even though we kept it clean!
I know guinea pigs look like big hamsters, so its natural that your dad might think, big hamster=big hamster stink. But just remind him that they are NOT big hamsters at all!
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps! :)

Im interested in trying out the wood pellets, I just have to find some locally.... They dont kick them out? I know my piggy sometimes kickes out his aspen and carefresh when he's doing laps. Though its not a big issue, I just sweep them up, but still, it'd be nice not to have any kicked out...

Last edited:
Farm store or home depot type stores. If you go to a farm store they will be pellets for going in the bottom of horse stalls, at home depot they are used in wood stoves, don't get the ones with accelerate (AKA lighter fluid). Yesterday's News works well too, get it at a pet store, it's in the cat little section.

You seem like you really want to try fleece. I would give it a try then. It's cute, the GPs like the softness and it's not really that hard once you get the hang of it. You should have a litter box/hay area anyway, in that put the pellets (wood or Yesterday's News, wood chips will get annoying stuck to the fleece) you will have a bag of it so if you get busy you can just use it in the cage instead of fleece for a while. Switch back when things calm down. That's what I do and it works really well. The GPs are happy and healthy and my husband with the sensitive nose doesn't complain.

I have no experience with fleece, but I just thought Id chime in here and let you know that I use carefresh and aspen bedding, and my piggy doesnt smell. At all.
My husband HATES any kind of animal smell, and he doesnt mind the piggy being in the kitchen, because he doesnt smell like anything, even from up close.
And I know what you mean about hamsters stinking up quick, my son used to have one, and it stunk up his room, even though we kept it clean!
I know guinea pigs look like big hamsters, so its natural that your dad might think, big hamster=big hamster stink. But just remind him that they are NOT big hamsters at all!
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps! :)

Thanks I'll definitely tell him that. And you're so right about him thinking the whole "big hamster" thing...he says its the same animal just bigger *eye roll*

Also, it may be easier to order some fleece liners. I plan on getting my lazy self some here soon. They just basically the fleece and absorbing material (towels or Uhaul blankets, etc) sewn inside. Then they are sort of like pads. This is what I understand anyway.

The one down side of fleece is that if you have haired guinea pigs, it's a pain to get the hair off of the fleece. Other than that, I like the fleece best because it stops the cats from trailing bedding everywhere (guinea pigs kick it out, cats lay in it... you know the deal).

The one down side of fleece is that if you have haired guinea pigs, it's a pain to get the hair off of the fleece.

(broken link removed) or similar brush should solve that problem. I got one just to get the tiny bits of hay off my fleece, and it worked so well, that I got one for dog hair too. You can find it in the cat grooming area at PetSmart or Petco for about $10.

Thanks I'll definitely tell him that. And you're so right about him thinking the whole "big hamster" thing...he says its the same animal just bigger *eye roll*

LOL its understandable, I think a lot of people think that. When I was a kid, I had a few hamsters, but I was never able to convince my mom to let me have a guinea pig, she 'heard' that they stink. Now that I have kids of my own, I finally got one, and they are WAY different from hamsters! Not just in thier lack of stink, but also in the way they behave. Most rodents have this 'rodenty' smell, hamsters, mice, rats, gerbils, etc, but guinea pigs are different. They dont stink, and to me they seem a lot more like rabbits than rodents.

They are fun pets, but remember, if you go to all this trouble, and finally convince your dad to give in and let you get one, you'd better take great care of it, or you wont be able to convince him ever again. It'll always be, 'but remember, I let you get the guinea pig, after all your begging, and you see how that went!' LOL dont make him regret it!

And I dont know anything about fleece, like I said, but some people on here say that it stinks up quicker than regular bedding, so make sure you stay on top of that, if you use fleece. First impressions are important, and if your piggy is stinking in the first few days, your dad wont be happy at all. lol

Good luck! ;)

I'm using one layer of fleece and 1 uhaul pad that is folded in half and then some to fit my 2x4 cage. That seems to be enough cause its folded in half. If you have a bigger cage you might want two. But one should be enough. For me, I just folded over the edges so they fit and clipped the fleece to the pad underneath. But sowing would be a better option. Make sure the ones your grandpa has are the pads made from recycled jeans. So far it works well for me. I prefer fleece over woodchips cause I hate the mess like the others have said.

Also make sure to use white vinager when washing because that really helps to get the stink out. If you are really concerned about it stinking then wash it more often and keep the cage swept clean so there is no way it could smell. However, keep in mind tha some parents don't want you putting a pee/poopy and hairy thing in their washer and dryer. So that is something to consider. I've never used wood pellets but from what I've read is they work great and hardly any smell. Just also keep in mind, some locations those are a seasonal product cause they are used to heat wood stoves. Good luck!

Honestly, just make sure you get girls if your dad is worried about smells. My boars love to shake their butts around at each other and rub them all over everything and it does smell a bit. (Not to mention the constant bickering and chasing each other around all the time, has nothing to do with smells but boars are a pain to get to live together in harmony...)

It also helps a LOT though to have a kitchen area with carefresh, or aspen bedding instead of fleece that you clean out every day, it leaves a nice, fresh bedding smell in the room, but buying bedding every week can get expensive, especially because Aspen and Carefresh are the most expensive types to buy (at my pet stores, anyways.)

My ex boyfriend had 2 girls though, and they didn't smell at ALL. Taking care of them when he went on vacation was a DREAM. Their cage NEVER smelled, and whenever he had to take care of my boars he always told me how much they smelled compared to his girls.

Ok so what I'm confused about is on here: Bedding it says that wood pellets are hard to manage...

I see where it says they are hard as in hard like a rock but not where they are difficult to use. All bedding has it's positive and negative attributes you just need to find the one that works best for you and you probably wont be able to figure that out completely until you have guinea pigs and get to try out a few different types and see what works best with your lifestyle and what makes your parents the happiest.

I just picked up some wood pellets today to try, although I haven't used them yet. Next to fleece, I think it's the cheapest option, and, since it's also apparently the best for smells, I thought I'd give it a try. My Home Hardware carries bags of 100% wood pellets, 40lbs for about $6.50 sold for wood burning stoves, and the pet supply store nearby carries bags of 35lbs for $7.50, called "Stall Dry: Premium Equine Bedding" so if you have any tack stores nearby you might be able to find some there. I may mix some carefresh in with it, especially at first because they're used to carefresh. (By the way, on the stink factor, I've been using carefresh and the cage is right next to my bed and I've been REALLY impressed with the lack of smell! Even right before I clean it! With my past pigs I always used pine shavings (I know, I know, I was uneducated) and thought they were stinky then; carefresh is much better for smell in my opinion. I'll let you know how the wood pellets go. Just so you know what I'm talking about, here's a link: Home Hardware - WOOD PELLETS, REG 40LB
although this time I got the ones meant for horses because HH was sold out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.