Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Dad thinks piggies stink

arionat799

Cavy Slave
#1 reason dad won't let me have a guinea pig: He thinks they stink! (meaning the cage...) I've tried explaining to him that if you spot clean and change the litter box daily, and completely change the fleece and under-bedding once a week, they don't smell. I think he refuses to believe it because I've had a hamster before-sadly passed in Oct. of very old age-and he did stink literally an hour after I changed the cage! What do I do?? Maybe if you guys will talk about how yours don't stink I can show him and he will finally understand... Thanks :) The sooner he understands, the sooner I may be bringing home my very first piggy!! lol

P.S. Which makes the best under-bedding? I figured I'd just use towel(s) but I was wondering if anything else works really good/better...? Thanks! :)

P.P.S.: Guess what!!! My mom's dog had puppies!!! She got out of the yard by accident while in heat and well ya...you get the picture. There are 5 but she lives in another state so I don't get to see them in-person until February but I get to via Skype! (video chat) I'll post pics a.s.a.p.!! :) If you guys wanna see them i mean...

Last edited:
I spot clean everyday and change the fleece weekly...NO SMELLS:D! and as for my piggies...I love the way they smell...is that weird?

I noticed that hamsters stink WAY more than GP's. The only stink I've ever noticed with pigs is boar stink. I use towels under my fleece. :)

I spot clean everyday and change the fleece weekly...NO SMELLS:D! and as for my piggies...I love the way they smell...is that weird?

My friend has piggies and I love the way they smell to so no...not weird! Unless I am too...hahaha

LOL! Whenever my friend comes over, she scoops up my guys and takes a big ol' sniff of their fur. Then she tells me which one smells better. lol I don't think that's weird. I do that sometimes too, especially after their baths. :)

I noticed that hamsters stink WAY more than GP's. The only stink I've ever noticed with pigs is boar stink. I use towels under my fleece. :)

Ok thanks what do you mean by boar stink though? My friend has 2 boars and they don't stink...?

Well, when they are first introduced, they mark their territory and it SMELLS! Just boars, though. Not sows.

Well, when they are first introduced, they mark their territory and it SMELLS! Just boars, though. Not sows.

Ohhh okay....well I want sows anyways haha thanks

No problem. :) I don't think it smells that bad, only when I get close to the cage. :yuck:

No problem. :) I don't think it smells that bad, only when I get close to the cage. :yuck:

Oh ok lol it's so funny how we're just writing back and forth hahaha

Towels have produced the most odor for me under fleece, while Uhaul furniture pads have produced the least. I have my fosters on Thoroughbed wood shavings and it controls odor much better than anything else I have tried, but it is messier than fleece.

I have heard great things about the wood stove pellets but do not have any experience. Bpatters will probably chime in, I believe she swears by them for odor control.

I just introduced mine yesterday...I haven't noticed anything and they seem to be happier with the companionship but they are young. I thought introducing two young males would be best so they grow up together. will smell come with puberty?

Towels have produced the most odor for me under fleece, while Uhaul furniture pads have produced the least. I have my fosters on Thoroughbed wood shavings and it controls odor much better than anything else I have tried, but it is messier than fleece.

I have heard great things about the wood stove pellets but do not have any experience. Bpatters will probably chime in, I believe she swears by them for odor control.

Where do you get the furniture pads? And how long do wood pellets last? Where do you get them? I've seen a place that has them by me but it's kinda far...

You get the Uhaul furniture pads from Uhaul. You can google various Uhaul stores near you, contact them, and ask for "Uhaul furniture pad". It is recycled denim and costs $7.95.

I don't have any information regarding wood pellets, as I've never used them. I have just seen Bpatters mention how wonderful they are. If I felt the need to control odor more, I would, but I really don't notice any smells other than hay from my 4 pigs on fleece. If you choose to get wood stove pellets, make sure that there are no additives/accelerants added to them, as they could be toxic to your pigs.

You get the Uhaul furniture pads from Uhaul. You can google various Uhaul stores near you, contact them, and ask for "Uhaul furniture pad". It is recycled denim and costs $7.95.

I don't have any information regarding wood pellets, as I've never used them. I have just seen Bpatters mention how wonderful they are. If I felt the need to control odor more, I would, but I really don't notice any smells other than hay from my 4 pigs on fleece. If you choose to get wood stove pellets, make sure that there are no additives/accelerants added to them, as they could be toxic to your pigs.

Ok thanks so do you just wash the fleece and uhaul pads like you would towels?

Also regarding the hay, I must say I am addicted to the smell of hay I love it!! I went over to my friend's house and I sware I had to sit by her cage the entire time I was there because they hay was there and it smelt so good!!! Hahaha weird i know...

Yes, I wash my fleece/uhaul pads in the washer on hot/cold with a cup of white vinegar. Dry in the dryer with absolutely nothing added, no fabric softener and such.

Some people have said that line drying your fabrics help to eliminate the "warm guinea pig" smell that somewhat lingers on the bedding, but I don't notice any odor unless I really put it up to my face.

Guess what!!!

My Grandpa just told me that he has 2 Uhaul furniture pads that he doesn't need!!! Yay!!!

More info on it would be appreciated though...for example: just 1 layer? what detergent is best to wash it in??

Yes, I wash my fleece/uhaul pads in the washer on hot/cold with a cup of white vinegar. Dry in the dryer with absolutely nothing added, no fabric softener and such.

Some people have said that line drying your fabrics help to eliminate the "warm guinea pig" smell that somewhat lingers on the bedding, but I don't notice any odor unless I really put it up to my face.

Line drying? Whats that? and what detergent do you use??

Line drying is the old fashion way outside in the sun with a rope and close pins. I use All Free and Clear detergent but any "free and clear" should work. Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the wash with the detergent to help control odors.

My guinea pigs hardly smell at all. I have noticed though when I use wood chips they smell less than when I use fleece, I also don't have to do daily spot cleaning with wood chips, the wood chips in my 2x5 cage with two boars last probably a week and a half if I scoop up the wet litter ever few days. The down fall with wood chips is the stupid chips get everywhere!! I feel like I am constantly vacuuming when I use wood chips.

If you have a busy scheduled with school, sports, finals, work etc. it might be more effective to use wood chips or wood pellets to keep things under control. I typically switch over to wood from fleece when I have a lot going on in a week or if we go out of town so it is easier on the pet sitter. Over Chirstmas as much as I want to show off to my family with the cute fleece the piggies will probably be on wood pellets! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.