Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Dad Problems...Help!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Well, we have just moved back in to my newly renovated home. That is awesome, right?! Well, I'm happy to be back of course. However, my Dad is asking me to make the cage smaller.

First, he made me take the upper level down. That made me VERY upset, as I had worked so very hard on it, but I did as I was told.

Now, my Dad is trying to make me make the cage smaller. At first he made it kind of a suggestion. But now it seems like it is being forced. She is currently in a 2x3. I can't go any smaller! That is the MINIMUM! He claims that the cage is taking up half of my room. Which, in reality, is true. Can't argue that one. But I've tried to tell him that I DON'T CARE. I just want what's best for my pig. Plus, I just sewed new cage liners w/ fleece going over the sides so it wouldn't fit in a smaller cage....

Anyways, he also gave the idea of making a 2x2 with 3 upper levels. I tried to explain to him that guinea pigs aren't like hamsters/rats/etc. There backs don't work like that, and that doesn't give them more space (beings upper levels don't count towards square footage). Also, the ramp would take up half the cage anyways so she wouldn't get any space to run around.

What do I do?! My Dad is VERY stubborn. He was very against the idea of a guinea pig in the first place. Now he's trying to make her cage smaller. How do I change his mind?!

Also, I'd really like to keep the upper level. How do I persuade him to let me do that?

We've had lots of problems lately. I'm sent to school every morning crying because we get in a fight every morning. I really don't want it to result in me having to find a new home for my pig! (I assure you though, that definitely won't be happening on my watch.) Help!

Well, let me give advice based on how I wish I acted towards my parents when I was a teen:

- Explain to him that you want to take responsibility for this animal and do right by giving it a good life.

- Ask what exactly bothers him about the cage taking up so much space. Is there hay on the floors? Does it smell? Is it hard to walk around your bedroom? Brainstorm with him on how you can make a compromise.

- Make sure to word things as if you're concerned with how he feels, even if you're not. Sometimes people have to fake caring about someone's feelings. It sucks. I know. It can definitely turn things in your favor, though.

Another thing to keep in mind is continued pestering. If you keep pushing the subject it may come off as "whiney" or naggy. Timing on when to confront him about issues may also make a difference. Wait till he's all settled, not stressed, seems in a fairly decent mood. I personally hate making compromises when I'm in a stressed out mood or exhausted.

If space is an issue, is there a way you can put the cage up on something, like a table, to have storage space under it? Downsizing one grid isn't going to save you much space... 14"... and that's not a lot. If you elevate the cage and keep it a single level, you'll have all that extra space underneath. Frankly, I don't care for extra levels no matter how large a cage is. It's harder to clean and takes up cage space.

I just talked to him on the phone. He didn't bring up the subject.

So I said "Oh, can I talk to you about Ginger's cage?"
he said "What?"
"I know that you feel like her cage is too big, and that it take up most of my room. Which it does, but I dont care that it takes up most of my room. I just want her to have a happy healthy life."
He just simply said "Ok."

I also asked about the upper level and e said "we'll see". That's a step-up lol.

Thanks for the help! I guess it's just directed more toward the upper level now.

However, @MissJean, he has had lots of complaints about hay on the ground. I really need to figure out a new system. Help?

Your dad probably spent a lot of money renovating the house, and he probably has pretty definite ideas about how he wants it to look. When he is in the right mood (thanks (broken link removed), you're right about that!), sit down and ask him to have a serious talk (stay calm and don't cry or whine-you have to act grown up for this talk). Having a beautiful house is worthless if you're miserable. Make sure you keep your room clean, and the cage clean so it doesn't smell-no hay or poops on the floor. Tell him how miserable you are because you want to do the right thing for your pig. You can even compromise by keeping all your stuff in your room, or helping to keep the house clean and clutter free, and in return, your room and the pigs cage is how you want it. He works hard to have a nice home, so you have to consider his feelings, too, and try to see his side. That's the only way to find a solution. Good luck.

Well! I personally use a rubber pet hair broom to sweep hay daily. I'm not sure where to find them at in-store locations, or if your father is willing to make online purchases.

I just talked to him on the phone. He didn't bring up the subject.

So I said "Oh, can I talk to you about Ginger's cage?"
he said "What?"
"I know that you feel like her cage is too big, and that it take up most of my room. Which it does, but I dont care that it takes up most of my room. I just want her to have a happy healthy life."
He just simply said "Ok."

I also asked about the upper level and e said "we'll see". That's a step-up lol.

Thanks for the help! I guess it's just directed more toward the upper level now.

However, @MissJean, he has had lots of complaints about hay on the ground. I really need to figure out a new system. Help?

I keep my hay in a plastic, corner litter box. I have no problems with hay on the ground.

Yes, I am going to be making a new litter box soon. (Out of coroplast) I just thought it would be quite a mess with pee and poo in it, and it would wate a lot of hay if it were just on the ground with nothing holding it up...?

However, @(broken link removed) , he has had lots of complaints about hay on the ground. I really need to figure out a new system. Help?
I think the only answer to that is to pick it up every day when you re-fill the hay rack, and vacuum, so the floor stays clean. I'm glad the chat went well.

I think the only answer to that is to pick it up every day when you re-fill the hay rack, and vacuum, so the floor stays clean. I'm glad the chat went well.

Thanks. But I really just need a new hay rack.

he has had lots of complaints about hay on the ground. I really need to figure out a new system. Help?

Maybe create a wall where the hay is?
Like an actual solid wall so the hay doesn't fall out.

Maybe create a wall where the hay is?
Like an actual solid wall so the hay doesn't fall out.

Then how would she get to the hay? It wouldn't be able to attach to the grids...?

Then how would she get to the hay? It wouldn't be able to attach to the grids...?

Would you be able to try a large dog bowl? Or is the cage space too limited?
She should still be able to get into it if it hooks into the grids

No!!! Can you make one like this!!??
[GuineaPigCages.com] Dad Problems...Help!

I saw the directions for that, it looks VERRRYYY complicated lol but maybe I will try my hand at it! :) Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.