Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cutting GP toe nails...

lsutigersjw

Cavy Slave
Well I cut the nails for the first time last night, it went good. Both GP's are still alive lol after the first clippings they both calmed down, it was funny, they were bonding, but when in their cage linny stays away from buddy.:)

They always make it as hard as they possibly can, don't they? lol It's always a two person job with Kwee and Quee; one has to physically restrain them so they don't keep yanking their legs away at the last second. And clipping the black nails is always a challenge. ;)

I'm new to this site but just wanted to say its good to always have on hand Kwik Stop w/ benzocaine while clipping. It's a yellow powder that stops bleeding. I'm obsessive about nails cause one of my girls came with her nails so bad they curled into her pads. I like the powder especially for blk nails when you can't see the quick. It's good for birds and cats/ dogs too.

thanks! will get some

A common alternative is to use normal flour, which will also stop bleeding if occurs. :)

I use cornstarch, although I have yet to cause any bleeding. Normally if my hand slips and I start to cut into the quick my pigs will wheek and twist and kick and thats when I know to stop and reclip lower down. I always look with a strong light too. My pigs both have bad nails because there foster home neglected to clip them! now it's a weekly job.

what kind of clippers do i use? i just adopted my three girls from the animal shelter 2wks ago and their nails are bad.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm off to buy some. I'm nervous but I'm sure I'll figure it out lol.

I got a guinea pig nail kit from petco, its easy to use! you mite need someone to hold the cavy still while you cut, they get use to it after a few clippings.

I recently attempted cutting Bella's nails... :melodrama I was shaking like crazy! I was just so nervous that I was going to hurt her! I still have one foot left, but I really need to do it soon... At least she didn't bleed or anything! :D

its very difficult to cut their nails alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.