Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Curly Fry Crossed the Bridge

pinky

Cavy Slave
My sweet sponsored senior Curly Fry passed away Saturday, June 9 at around 5:30 a.m. She would have been 10 years old in November.

I sponsored her and her neutered mate Oreo Blizzard back in 2007. He was 7 years old at the time and she was 5. They were too old to be adopted out so I took them in. He passed in 2008 of old age but she just kept going on strong. The owner who gave them up said they were a bonded pair and had over 25 pups before they had Oreo neutered.

After her mate passed, she was really depressed and sat in a corner. I discovered that she loved to dote on other guinea pigs, licking them, snuggling them, protecting them, etc. She had a real nurturing quality about her. Over the years, I paired her with a few different guinea pigs that she outlived. Any time a guinea pig was startled, they'd run behind her. They trusted her. The most touching pairing was with Curly Fry and a young female I took in that came into our rescue in very poor condition. After a couple of years, it was apparent that her companion was showing signs of osteodystrophy. Xrays and multiple vet visits confirmed the diagnosis. Curly tended to Truffles' every need and cared for her until I had to euthanize her when she could no longer eat and refused any more syringe feeding. At that point, Curly became part of a herd of guinea pigs and thrived.

Over the last couple of months or so I could see the effects of old age quickly catching up with her. She appeared to be deaf and losing her eyesight and I had to nudge her to come out and eat. The vet agreed that her symptoms were age related so I just tended to her needs. A week ago, I noticed her cage mates were starting to pick on her and I figured they knew she was weakening so I set up a small cage that I put next to my males where it's a bit quieter. By this time she wasn't moving around as easily so access to food and water were my biggest concern. It got to the point were she refused water and food so I just made the cage as comfortable for her as I could and kept things quiet for her. She found a spot in the corner where she pulled the fleece a bit over her head. Saturday, she laid down on her side and just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

She was really special and we all miss her a lot.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Curly Fry Crossed the Bridge

Sorry for your loss!

RIP Curly! Shall' be missed!

Thank god she found you to care for her, though. Great job. :)

Sorry for your loss!

RIP Curly! Shall' be missed!

Thank god she found you to care for her, though. Great job. :)

Thanks, @Zuidy, I was just plain lucky that she lived so long. I think her longetivity had more to do with genetics than anything else. She was always a very upbeat, positive guinea pig.... No fighting from her at all. That might have helped increase her lifespan, too.

I am so sorry for your loss, pinky. It sounds like Curly Fry was a wonderful pig, and she had an amazing life with you.
Rest in peace, Curly Fry:love:

I am so sorry for your loss, pinky. It sounds like Curly Fry was a wonderful pig, and she had an amazing life with you.
Rest in peace, Curly Fry:love:

I was lucky to have had her. She was one of a kind.

I am Sorry about your loss. Thats amazing she lived for so long. What a cutie, love the fuzzy hair.

I know you will........that face, the perpetually stained white chin, and those piggy lips are something special. :love: Thanks for sharing her story. I can only hope that my beloved Chester will live to a ripe old age as well. I know that you cherish the time you had with her.

Somewhere over the Rainbow Bridge, Curly Fry has met Bubba and he's showing her where to find the best dandelion greens.

I don't know if most people believe in an after life for animals, but I do. One of my friends sent me a message saying her departed dog Teddy was probably giving her a doggy back ride, showing her around. Thoughts of that and thinking of her meeting Bubba makes it easier for me. My husband buried her next to my Pikachu and marked the spot with a little concrete squirrel. It's the prettiest spot in my yard so I find it peaceful when I go over there and think of her.

I am Sorry about your loss. Thats amazing she lived for so long. What a cutie, love the fuzzy hair.

Thank you, jm. She had crazy hair. I had hoped she'd make it to 10, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm just glad she died peacefully.

that made me cry, she sounded adorable, im so sorry for your loss

that made me cry, she sounded adorable, im so sorry for your loss

I waited to write the thread because I knew it would make me cry. She was like a little mom to all the others.

I am so sorry for your loss!:weepy: Isn't it funny how these little furry critters come into our lives and change them for the better? I loved reading your story and I know that Curly Fry will be missed terribly. Sending warm thoughts your way from my piggies and myself:heart:

Oh Pinky. I'm so sorry for your loss of Curly. What a trooper she was. Really hanging in there until the ripe old age of nearly 10! It was a sweet story you told. She sounded like a wonderfully nurturing pig.

I am so sorry for your loss!:weepy: Isn't it funny how these little furry critters come into our lives and change them for the better? I loved reading your story and I know that Curly Fry will be missed terribly. Sending warm thoughts your way from my piggies and myself:heart:

I appreciate the warm thoughts.... My guinea pigs have always made my life better. I can't imagine living without them.

Oh Pinky. I'm so sorry for your loss of Curly. What a trooper she was. Really hanging in there until the ripe old age of nearly 10! It was a sweet story you told. She sounded like a wonderfully nurturing pig.

Thank you, CavyMama. I've never had another one like Curly. The other guinea pigs always seemed to be drawn to her. I remember when I brought home the texels and introduced them to the others and they all got into it... except for Curly. She just sort of watched and didn't get aggressive or assertive. She was more of a peacemaker.

Curly was blessed to be cared by you. I can only hope, wish that mine live to see 10.
Good Job and don't be sad.

I know this is a sentence you've heard a million times, but I'm sorry for your loss. She sounded like a very special piggy, and you tried your best to make her comfortable during her last moments.

Curly was blessed to be cared by you. I can only hope, wish that mine live to see 10.
Good Job and don't be sad.

Thank you. I've owned and fostered a lot of guinea pigs in my life and it is easier when they cross over peacefully. I've had some that had lingering illnesses and suffered. Those are the ones that still hurt. I feel happy that Curly went peacefully but I still really miss her. She would make the funniest brrrrr sound when I'd bring out snacks. None of my others have done that so we all miss that.

I know this is a sentence you've heard a million times, but I'm sorry for your loss. She sounded like a very special piggy, and you tried your best to make her comfortable during her last moments.

I've had so many guinea pigs in my lifetime that I can usually tell when the end is near. They prepare themselves and find a quiet spot where they feel secure. I've brought some out and held them when they were dying, I've put pigloos over them, etc., but I've found that they relax and cross over peacefully once they find a dim, quiet spot that they select where they can just ease into it. Her two cage mates seem to be having a tough time, though. I keep seeing them look around for her.

I think her longetivity had more to do with genetics than anything else. She was always a very upbeat, positive guinea pig.... No fighting from her at all. That might have helped increase her lifespan, too.

I'm sure your care had something to do with it too!! But I think we could all take a lesson from Curly Fry - being positive and not fighting that is :) RIP sweet piggy!!

So sorry for your loss :sad: It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.