Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Curious

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Does every pregnant sow get a pear shape or does it vary?

I just think you will be able to tell a change in shape. A lot of people don't detect any, so I am going to say that not all of them do. But a fair amount who are about to deliver definitely get that iconic shape.

Oh ok. I was just wondering just in case. Because princess has a pear shape to her and she didn't have that type of shape when i first got her

Oh ok. I was just wondering just in case. Because princess has a pear shape to her and she didn't have that type of shape when i first got her

Then she must be pregnant. I honestly wouldn't trust what the vet said right now anyway-- You will be able to tell at some point if she hasn't had babies that she isn't pregnant. Obviously if you wait a year and she hasn't had her baby Cavies you know she isn't going to. :D

Ok. Well I'm just going to wait it out. She can have between 2 weeks and 4 weeks left. I made a video of her yesterday to show how she looks but I haven't posted it up on here

Is she housed with a male? If so, I would be sure she is.

She was but she's not any more

Is she housed with a male? If so, I would be sure she is.

This site doesn't condone breeding, so obviously she wouldn't be housed with a male. She was, but was removed shortly after Mommyof2 came to this website.

Another question. The vet in middletown nj who only sees avians and exotics recommends me to bring princess in to see him in a week or 2 to do an ultra sound/x-ray. I know it can be stressful for piggies, but Should i bring her just to be safe? I don't know if she's ever had a litter before and im scared that she would have to have a c-section due to her possible age which i believe she is 8 to 12 months old. I adopted her from the petstore and they had got no info on her while she was with her previous owners.

Prince just nibbled on my lip. lol It was so cute. I guess that's his way of giving kisses

Is it absolutely necessary to quarantine guinea pigs? It's for 3 weeks(21 days)? Why does it actually have to be done?

Is it absolutely necessary to quarantine guinea pigs? It's for 3 weeks(21 days)? Why does it actually have to be done?

Yes it is! I though my piggie was well enough to play with Henry. Bad mistake. It died then got Hen-Hen sick.

Yes it's three weeks.

Most piggie illness take 2-3 weeks to culture. This is to protect your other pigges from getting sick, if she has any illness

Is quarantine only done if one piggy is sick or when you get a new piggy?

Both. Plus it gives your new piggie a chance to get used to you and her surroundings

Oh ok Thanks for your help.

Your welcome ^^

:) Ok. Thanks again. I was asking because i didn't do the quarantine thing when i got brownie, I just did the intro on neutral ground and let stay together like that for almost a hour and then put them together in the cage and they were just fine that way.

I wish that would of worked for my piggie,Hank. But he was sick, i shouldn't of let them play.
It's always good to be safe and do quarentine

awww poor guy. Hope he's ok now. Brownie wasn't sick or anything, which is why I just did the intro. Cause if she was sick I wouldn't have gotten her

Where did you get brownie from? If you bought her from a pet store then a quarentine would've been in order but if you adopted from a rescue, it's not always nessicary because they tend to quarantine their pigs before moving them into the group of pigs.

Either way, they're all together so it doesn't matter -just for future reference :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.