Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cupcake HATES being picked up - help.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Cupcake gets floor time in my 10 x 10 homeschool room. She loves it and wheeks, etc. The big problem is trying to get her into my hands. I know HOW to hold her, IF i can get her to stay still! She gets agitated and starts to bite if I run her into a corner or even just try to pick her up in the middle of the cage.

I have an Oxbow timothy hay hut and sometimes she will go in there and I carry the hut upstairs. But now she has been getting to where she doesn't want to go in the hut to go back to her cage. (she lives in a 2 x 4 C&C) I think Cupcake wants to take over the schoolroom! lol She does like her cage, lol.

She likes to be on my lap in a towel so she can cuddle with something over her head but I can't pick her up. This is getting circular, hee hee.

My sweet Cupcake certainly can get domineering, lol. She is not pregnant - for sure. HELP PLEASE!

Sounds like my 12 weeks old lol. Only they aren't biting yet. Have you tried to use the 'elevator method'? I have very Dominating pig as well, Charlie, he's a little over a year, but I show by my actions that he doesn't own me. He runs, I pick him up anyways, he squirms while I'm cutting nails, I wait for him to stop then go back at it (and yes we feed treats silly pig lol) And know he's doing a lot better. Idk if you could try any of these, but if it's possible you might try them. And when he's good he gets treats.

Since I don't know what the elevator method is, I probably haven't used that technique. i will look it up right now. Cupcake is a year old and I got her from the humane society, so who knows what her living conditions were.

Since I don't know what the elevator method is, I probably haven't used that technique. i will look it up right now. Cupcake is a year old and I got her from the humane society, so who knows what her living conditions were.

The elevator method is like what you did when you were getting her in that hut and carrying her. You shoo her into something and you can then carry her to your destination.

Ok, so I am doing elevator method, shooing her into a corner - but then she bites back! I can hand feed her, but every time I come near her she is now teeth chattering because she is afraid of being picked up. there were neighbor boys over , 6 years old, playign with my 5 year old. She was drinking her water, walking the cage, not afraid. But the second I try to get her, she is afraid.

Even coming at the side or front, down low, so I dont look like a hawk, she won't let me pet. I think I have ruined her :(

The elevator method is not about cornering her. You should get something you can shoo her into, then pick up, even putting a treat in the box or whatever you are using. You shooed her into a the hut and carried it,right?

even if you try all these great suggestions, your pig may never be happy with being picked up. i have 5 pigs, and some of them don't mind being picked up, but there's one in particular who HATES being picked up - he'll teeth chatter and shriek like he's being slaughtered!!

i find it's a little like pulling off a band-aid with the skittish ones. i try to distract them with one hand in front of them, then with one movement, firmly (and gently) grab him with the other. no fuss, no muss. then i give treats and soft words until all is calm. still, he hates it any way. . . they each have their own personalities (i'm going to have that etched on my tombstone!!)

also, please check for mites, or treat for them. sometimes pigs hate being touched because of mites irritating their skin.

Treat her for mites. They make pigs very uncomfortable, and the pig will bite in self-defense.

Sometimes I shoo her into it, but many times she will go into the hut by herself.

Treat her for mites. They make pigs very uncomfortable, and the pig will bite in self-defense.

I had to the vet three weeks ago (I got her from the humane society a month ago) and the vet did not see mites. Since she has never been outside, could she have them?

You cant see mites. The only way to find them is to do a skin scraping which is very painful and sometimes doesnt show them. I would treat anyway as its safe if given the right dosage

You cant see mites. The only way to find them is to do a skin scraping which is very painful and sometimes doesnt show them. I would treat anyway as its safe if given the right dosage
Oh my! my poor sweet girl. Come to think of it, she sometimes doesn't even want me petting her on my lap when she used to like it so much. I thought it was me scaring her with picking her up. I did think she was getting worse with being picked up and the mites would explain it.

How do they get mites?

I searched here for mite info and found this: "In a healthy animal, the mite may be dormant for months or years, becoming a problem in a pregnant cavy or one subject to illness or stress."
Maybe her stress was from being at the humane society for 1 month and then to my house. Otherwise she is healthy.

Im not sure.When I got my pigs they were fine but soon one of them would bite me, I couldnt touch her or anything. I took them all to the vet. My vet gave them a skin scraping, it was awful and it came up with nothing but they treated with revolution anyways and well ah they dont bite. You will still have to work on handling after treatment but it should start improving

@xXMaggieXx, there's really NO way to test for mites. Some mites will fluoresce under a black light, but a skin scraping can be negative when the pig really does have mites. There's no way in you-know-where that I'd let a vet do skin scrapings on my pigs -- it hurts terribly, is inconclusive, and they usually go ahead and treat anyway.

Mites are invisible to the naked eye. They burrow into the skin, and drive the pig nuts.

You can take her to the vet, refuse any proposed skin scraping, and just ask for her to be treated. Or you can treat her yourself with ivermectin, which is available from any feed store, (broken link removed), or (broken link removed). Read www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html for more information.

My older boar chitters at me when i pick him up sometimes. If Cupcake is an elder, it might be because her joints hurt her a bit more. Henry's hips, i've just noticed, kind of jut from his skin ( He's not skinny in anyway, but his hips are more noticeable, same thing happend to my hamster, but for him you could see his ribcage, or the end of it)

He has never bit me, but he would chitter, showing he didn't like what I was doing ( picking him up)
Maybe thats a contributeing factor?

@xXMaggieXx , there's really NO way to test for mites. Some mites will fluoresce under a black light, but a skin scraping can be negative when the pig really does have mites. There's no way in you-know-where that I'd let a vet do skin scrapings on my pigs -- it hurts terribly, is inconclusive, and they usually go ahead and treat anyway.

Mites are invisible to the naked eye. They burrow into the skin, and drive the pig nuts.

You can take her to the vet, refuse any proposed skin scraping, and just ask for her to be treated. Or you can treat her yourself with ivermectin, which is available from any feed store, (broken link removed), or (broken link removed). Read www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html for more information.

I told them I didnt want a skin scraping, but my mom insisted they do one and since she was paying what she said went. I felt so bad They did one behind the ear and the others on their behinds Never again will I let that happen. -_-. My vet got very upset that we had purchased ivermectin from amazon and said we werent allowed to have it without a prescription?. I didnt understand why she got so upset, as we didnt give it to them yet as they had to go to the vet for URI's anyways. Is that normal for her to get so upset? We havent gone to her since

Last edited:
Ivermectin is not a prescription medicine at all. It does have to be carefully dosed, since an overdose can have really bad effects. But given in the right strengths, it's fine for guinea pigs.

If it comes up again, tell your mom that skin scrapings for mites are not recommended. She's spending good money for nothing, the pig is suffering, and the treatment is the same either way.

My older boar chitters at me when i pick him up sometimes. If Cupcake is an elder, it might be because her joints hurt her a bit more. Henry's hips, i've just noticed, kind of jut from his skin ( He's not skinny in anyway, but his hips are more noticeable, same thing happend to my hamster, but for him you could see his ribcage, or the end of it)

He has never bit me, but he would chitter, showing he didn't like what I was doing ( picking him up)
Maybe thats a contributeing factor?

Cupcake is ~1 year 2 months old so I wouldn't think her joints hurt her. She used to chitter, but now goes full on biting.

Cupcake is ~1 year 2 months old so I wouldn't think her joints hurt her. She used to chitter, but now goes full on biting.

Hmm, i had hamsters do that, they just didn't like to be picked up. How do you goto pick her up? If grab her from above, she'll think you are a predator and bite you fearfully

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.